Part 1: Four Gaming Enclosures Under $50

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NucDsgr

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
This is the kind of Case Review I have been wanting to see for a long, long time.

Great review. I am looking forward to Part 2.

Antec 300 enjoys a good reputation for utility and cooling efficency even before this article was published. It really is a very good value for the money. I would have moved the top fan to the front of the case so it blew over my harddrives and blocked off the outlet with black construction paper. This would have improved thermals even more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]NucDsgr[/nom]This is the kind of Case Review I have been wanting to see for a long, long time. Great review. I am looking forward to Part 2.Antec 300 enjoys a good reputation for utility and cooling efficency even before this article was published. It really is a very good value for the money. I would have moved the top fan to the front of the case so it blew over my harddrives and blocked off the outlet with black construction paper. This would have improved thermals even more.[/citation]
Probably

NucDsgr

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
This is the top outlet. After all, the article did say that the top fan very likely did not contribute very much to improved airflow

G

i've got the 300 last 2009, with the rest of my rig (i7 920, x58, 6gb ddr3, hd4850, hec cougar cm700) and gosh, i'm not satisfied with it. i mean, i'm from philippines and it's a tropical country. my rig gets too hot easily. then here comes the vs9. i switched with it after a year, just this month of june. and here's my reason why i switched:

1. vs-9 runs cooler... my temps (cpu, mobo, gpu) dropped 5~10deg. when im using the 300, i get 47 max temp on my mobo, while in vs9, it only gibes me 40, mostly 35~38 if it's a normal day.

2. videocard upgrade?

3. vs-9's black coated finish looks cool, plus the antec 300's finish is real rusty and dirty

4. fans?

5. well i know, the vs9 only have .7mm of japanese steel, but that's the point! the antec 300, though it is thicker, it makes my rig run hotter, even with all the fans working.

6. antec 300's bottom part makes my psu run hotter, coz' it does not have exhausts or holes so that my psu can breathe o.o

more here: mistercomputer.wordpress.com (http://mistercomputer.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/from-antec-300-to-aerocool-pgs-vs-9-an-upgrade-or-a-downgrade/)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]dead_executive05[/nom]i've got the 300 last 2009, with the rest of my rig (i7 920, x58, 6gb ddr3, hd4850, hec cougar cm700) and gosh, i'm not satisfied with it. i mean, i'm from philippines and it's a tropical country. my rig gets too hot easily. then here comes the vs9. i switched with it after a year, just this month of june. and here's my reason why i switched:1. vs-9 runs cooler... my temps (cpu, mobo, gpu) dropped 5~10deg. when im using the 300, i get 47 max temp on my mobo, while in vs9, it only gibes me 40, mostly 35~38 if it's a normal day.2. videocard upgrade?3. vs-9's black coated finish looks cool, plus the antec 300's finish is real rusty and dirty4. fans? 5. well i know, the vs9 only have .7mm of japanese steel, but that's the point! the antec 300, though it is thicker, it makes my rig run hotter, even with all the fans working.6. antec 300's bottom part makes my psu run hotter, coz' it does not have exhausts or holes so that my psu can breathe o.omore here: mistercomputer.wordpress.com (http://mistercomputer.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/from-antec-300-to-aerocool-pgs-vs-9-an-upgrade-or-a-downgrade/)[/citation]
Try 0.6mm...wait, which one was it you worked for...AeroCool or it supplier?

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Chassis mounted USB ports (such as found on the Antec 300) serve another very important purpose. When the USB ports are not grounded to the chassis, it allows any static discharge that might occur when plugging in a device like a flash drive to flow straight to the motherboard. I have seen a good number of MB failures at work that occur when the end user plugs in a USB device. The cases that we were using at that time had the USB ports mounted on plastic. When we started grounding the ports with a length of wire the problem was eliminated. We have since switched to a different case that has the front ports mounted on the metal chassis and have seen no more issues of this type.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Folks should keep in mind, the Antec 300 case is the OLDEST case in this round up. Many cheap cases use a 3.5" drive bay for the USB & audio connectors... which look awfully cheap.

The 300 is a hard case to beat. I've only gone with other cases if the system is going to be used on a desk - so that doesn't work for me and some others.

rzilla91

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
thanks guys :) that's what i figured the switch was for, but was under the idea that a case fan plugged into a PSU had no ability to control its' speed for some reason... turns out it was on low, and that I'm fussier about noise than I thought!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The big 140mm fan can be defective - you can RMA is ASUS (they'll most likely just send you a fan, without you sending the old one in) - or buy another for $12~18. Out of about 20 A300's I've built - one was unacceptable in high-speed (which I don't use) and another, I left-off and covered the hole.

In reality, the top-fan is not that useful. Side fans are rarely needed in a proper case as are front fans.

Why? The Exhaust fan can PULL the cool air in. With older designs, it took HIGH RPMs to suck in the air. About 10~5 years ago, many cases had 4~12 fans! I had a huge Antec (30+lbs empty) which held 4 80mm fans... can you say LOUD? Did you hear me? LOUD!!

Since then, its been single HUGE low-rpm fans in small cases. Bigger case = more fan power requirements. Of course a 5850 would suffer in my case with low-rpms if I used such a card.

Also, a video card is important for noise. If possible, make sure the video card has an EXHAUST out the 2nd slot. HIS cards have these big-low-rpm coolers... I've been using them since 2005 with my 9800Pro. I went with fan-less for a while, but they generate heat INSIDE the case. I currently have a silent 4670 which I plan to replace with a 6670 or 6700 series card. I expect low-heat and noise and willing to sacrifice some performance.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Upon reading this segment, I am also happy that this along with the PSU comparison is there so new buyers can research and compare with an unbiased review, however, is it possible to also have a netbook and a laptop comparison. I know you did this for the core i7 "monster" gaming laptops but in reality these hardly sell compared to more consumer and budget friendly units.

Also a unique USB peripherials article would be a good section to add in for fun and creativity.

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Damn I knew the Antec 300 was a very nice case. It is great that this article backs it up. I was torn between the 300 and CM Elite I still am considering the price point. Hopefully there is a small sale for the Three hundred illusion soon.

r1pperz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
The Antec 300 is at $60 but has some great combo deals on Newegg. Just ordered a budget build with it combo'd with the ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO. $100 total for the $80 mobo and the Antec 300. Also they have decent deals with the Antec psu's included.

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I picked up a Rosewill Challenger for 35 bucks with free shipping and it has a feature list better than these cases. Two 120mm exhaust fans and an 80mm intake front fan. Rear mobo acess for a HSF through the side panel, and a 2.5 SDD adapter. I was more than impressed, it's comparable to my Antec 900 in quality.

If it has 2 120's and a 80mm. it can not actually compete with the 900(2 120s front one back or side and 200 up top) let alone the 300(120+140 back, not actual need for the front fan in that case for most systems).

I saw a Challenger with 120 + 140 top + 120 front. That can compete i guess. I actually prefer the 300 to 900 for some things. Its much easier to work in(the 900's drive cages are a pain). The 300 also has the motherboard tray hole for cpu back plates now.

I am not knocking rosewill. I think that case should have made it in here as it fits into the $50 price tag and offers many features(i do like the drive sleds like those found on the Sonata).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it shouldn't have made it here because this is a two part roundup. It should make it into the next part :)

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008

Actually, the top fan is 140mm, and it won't fit in the front so that wouldn't work. You could block off the side vent and that would force all the air to enter in the front giving the same effect.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I've done a lot of testing...enough to show that blocking off the top fan hole and ditching the fan entirely reduces noise effectively with minimal effect on CPU temperature. Intel had it figured out in BTX...flow-through cooling works pretty-darned-good.

ehume

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I got to this review after reading part 2. Nice set of reviews, and fairly tested. I greatly appreciated that the testing included both the front and back fan mounting.

One thing that would have really made this and part 2. complete for me: a measurement of the space between the back of the motherboard tray and the back side panel. Some cases come with almost no space back there. Some cases (like the NZXT Beta Evo) come with adequate amounts of space. Providing a measurement of the distance would allow us to decide whether there is enough back there for us to run our psu cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.