Part 2: AMD's Eyefinity Technology Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I use 3 LCDs with 5770 as well as 5850 cards to run many applications simultaneously. Eyefinity feature offers so much and one could easily avoid buying additional PCs by tapping the features from the processor and the graphics card.

ckim2116

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
It'd be nice if AMD had their own list of Eyefinity supported games. Some of the games on WGF don't work; in fact, the only games that have worked out perfectly for me have been TF2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Torchlight, and L4D2 (all you have to do is select your resolution in the options, in my case 5760x1080). In other games the menu screen just keeps blinking, and attempting to change the resolution just freezes the game.

Can't wait until all the kinks are worked out!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]Could someone tell me what happened to the "Print" feature on Tom?[/citation]

It's right above the comments section, to the right of "Share," amongst a ton of tiny little icons :)

jsowoc

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
I don't see DisplayPort costing that much more. If I look at 22-24" LCDs, the cheapest they come is around $200 for a TN panel or $300 for a PVA monitor, and about $450-500 for an IPS monitor. It's personal preference whether the quality difference is worth the cost.

If you compare a $200 TN w/out DisplayPort to a $500 IPS w/ DisplayPort, you are comparing apples to oranges. The Amazon price of $220 for a TN w/ DisplayPort is more representative of pricing.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am using 30" dell but only way i can use its native resolution is over DVI, on either HDMI or Displayport maximum of 1920x1200 is possible.
I am not sure if this is limit on DELL only, but as far as I read neither ati 4xxx or 5xxx grapahic card and neither any widely available LCD supports more then that which is quite pitty.
Even more disapointing is that DHCP working only over single DVI link (1920x1200 max) on DELLs and probably others as well.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Hmm. Landscape-landscape-landscape seems like it would just be sick for gaming. ASUS monitor bezels are actually angled at the top and bottom. When stacked tightly in such an arrangement, they actually wrap around the viewer nicely. Three 24" 16:9 ratio (1920x1080) monitors stacked sideways yields a HUGE 3:2 ratio (3240x1920 resolution) display. Three 16:10 (1920x1200) monitors end up at 3600x1920. I like this idea better than the far more panoramic view of 5760x1080 or 5760x1200 for most games.

Alas, I'll be waiting on the next-gen cards and monitors in hopes that prices drop and availability increases. I'd also like to see the proposed standards mentioned within this article actually go into effect, as well as see adoption of display port grow and the technology itself mature.

Lastly I hope stands adopt a standard that supports landscape-landscape-landscape, portrait-portrait-portrait, and any combination in-between. Having to go out and buy 3 cheap VESA mounts, some metal tubing and round-bar, then get to cutting, bending, and welding my own stand together sounds like a fun project, but I'd rather just buy a mass-produced one.

Edit: I meant portrait-portrait-portrait...

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Bought a 5870 HD the other day.
Two questions remain for me that I couldnt filter out from these articles by skimming through them:

1. Why do we need a display port again? I thought the whole point of HDMI was to introduce a digital standard that works with everything TVs Digital signal processors, PCs. Now that most monitors, graphics cards and even some motherboards are starting to support HDMI they come out with a new format... (dot dot dot)

2. Why does the 5800 series need a display port? why couldn't it have 3 DVI-Ds? So far I haven't even seen a single monitor that has displayport.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]$749 for a dual 5970? I thought a single 5970 cost that much![/citation]

the TDMS streams that the card can currently push is 2... That is for what I have heard some timing reason between 3 cards and that each TDMS stream supports 2560x1600p. If there was a way to trick the card and go over 1920x1200 then in the future, if you could plug in an adapter that said I will only output in 1920x1200 and lower, then the extra bandwidth of not supporting 3 displays at the 2560x1600 goes away and if you do the math, that leaves enough timing open to allow you to plug in a displayport to single output DVI and run three cards without an active dongle..

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]gaborbarla[/nom]Bought a 5870 HD the other day.Two questions remain for me that I couldnt filter out from these articles by skimming through them:1. Why do we need a display port again? I thought the whole point of HDMI was to introduce a digital standard that works with everything TVs Digital signal processors, PCs. Now that most monitors, graphics cards and even some motherboards are starting to support HDMI they come out with a new format... (dot dot dot)2. Why does the 5800 series need a display port? why couldn't it have 3 DVI-Ds? So far I haven't even seen a single monitor that has displayport.[/citation]

As it says in the article display port can support touchscreen signals, usb, 7.1 audio and rapid changes in resolution,refresh rate and colour depth and a higher resolution than HDMI due to higher bandwidth. Think of HDMI as 4inch Goodyears on an Aston Martin, and Display port as 12inch Pirellis.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
As it says in the article display port can support touchscreen signals, usb, 7.1 audio and rapid changes in resolution,refresh rate and colour depth and a higher resolution than HDMI due to higher bandwidth. Think of HDMI as 4inch Goodyears on an Aston Martin, and Display port as 12inch Pirellis.

Careful on using car analogies, last time i did that the nerds got angry.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Any word on when the Samsung multimonitor setup will actually ship? Getting really tired of always seeing pictures of it with no new information.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You compare $680 vs. $300 panels- the difference is partly in volume because the cheapest part will sell a lot more than the expensive one, but the big difference in functionality is IPS panel technology vs. TN panel technology. TN is a lot cheaper but only puts out 6-bit color so it is undesireable for photographers. Gamers don't care about colors so they can benefit from the cheaper monitors.

Franklin Hennersdorfer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Personally this seems pretty wasted, I'd be happier with one huge solid screen than 6 monitors cobbled together, with bezels in the way of what I wanna see.

This might be real handy for Wall Street types, or those who heavily multitask, but for gamers and 95% of other users, this is just uglyness, expensive, and likely to be obselete within a year or so anyway when someone else figures out people would rather have one large screen purpose made for the job than to cobble up to 6 together to get a jigsaw puzzle view of games/movies/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.