Part 2: Four Cheap 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supplies, Reviewed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd buy a CX-500M; not the CX-500, but the "M," yes.
I'm about to use a 300W InWin TFX PSU in a build. I haven't seen a full review of it, but the internals are supposedly ok, so it should be safe. The graphics card will be a HD7750, so I doubt I'll even pull 150W from the wall. At some point though, I will likely replace it with one of the 80+ Gold Seasonics.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
My 3 year old CX500 was a nightmare. Terrible voltage regulation and lots of issues with hardware that were solved by replacing with a Rosewill Capstone 750W. It finally died a week or two ago, giving me the excuse to upgrade to a better unit.

Good luck. It's been a looong time since I got no results on google for a brand name. Not a good sign.

haschid

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Over at HardwareSecrets, there's a guy named c.hegge who is an Australian PSU reviewer. He has documented how bad the Samxon "GF" capacitors are. They don't like heat, and tend to fail. He has recapped Corsair "CX" PSUs with capacitor problems. This is also described on the badcaps.org forums. The Corsair CX reviews well, and looks great when new, but I won't buy or recommend them, especially in gaming PCs that tend to run warm.
Of this batch of PSUs, I'd take the Seasonic every time. As Vertexx points out, it offers sufficient wattage for most PCs with a single graphics card using just one PCIe power connector.

THIS.

I had a cx500 capacitor start smoking after less than 2 years of light use. Buying seasonic next.

innovandrew

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Darn Corsair CX. Mine just failed. Only got three years out of it. A Seasonic would have doubled that.

When I bought the CX, I remember thinking "I will regret this not being a Seasonic." Every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.