Partitioned new hard drive before initializing (Can't do anything with smaller partition)

LeHoTheToad

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

Just completed a new computer build and my primary drive (SSD - Boot, OS, Programs) is fine and was recognized immediately. My data storage drive (HDD - 4TB), on the other hand, needed to be initialized in order to be recognized. I was attempting to do this and somehow partitioned the drive instead, and then had a 2.0GB/1.6GB unallocated partitioned drive at that point. I was able to gain the larger portion (I believe I "made a new simple drive"), but the smaller portion of the drive is not usable at this point. It is listed as unallocated, and I can't figure out what to do.

Anyone have advice on how to correct this?
dateposted

Solution
Thanks for all the replies. I used Windows 10 as my OS. I was able to use AtomicWAR's suggestion, but used a different partition management software (MiniTool Partition Wizard 9.1 - Free) and it got the job done. I downloaded it along with EaseUS Partition Master 11.5. Of the two, I found MiniTool easier to use, and it seemed that I had more options in their free version.
It appears that when you initialized the HDD you selected the MBR partitioning scheme rather than the GPT partitioning scheme. Are you familiar with those two types of partitioning schemes? If not, you might want to do some research on their differences and how they affect the partitioning of a HDD/SSD.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah your likely set it up as a MBR instead of GPT partitioning scheme. MBR maxes out at 2TB...as for the .4GB missing...that is do to formatting/file structure of the drive eating up space. 4tb should show up as 3.6TB (in your case 2TB and 1.6tb to added up to 3.6TB) when formatted and partitioned under GPT.

LeHoTheToad

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks, but it didn't work. I selected Disk 0 (3726GB), but got the following message;

Virtual Disk Service Error:
The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMS and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertible,

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You don't specify what OS you have installed. As I understand it, among Windows versions, only the 64-bit versions contain the driver necessary to access HDD's Partitioned with the GPT scheme. If you installed a 32-bit version of Windows, you can't use a HDD over 2 TB because you can't use the GPT Partition type.

LeHoTheToad

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. I used Windows 10 as my OS. I was able to use AtomicWAR's suggestion, but used a different partition management software (MiniTool Partition Wizard 9.1 - Free) and it got the job done. I downloaded it along with EaseUS Partition Master 11.5. Of the two, I found MiniTool easier to use, and it seemed that I had more options in their free version.

Solution