[SOLVED] Partitioning new SSD to run Windows 10 and Linux

blue_rays

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
I've bought a crucial 240GB sata SSD, and I want to partition it. I want to install windows 10 and a Linux distribution (maybe manjaro) on it. What's the best partitioning option so. Should it be MBR or GPT and can I install windows in UEFI mode? Also I have 2 SATA 6Gb slot on my (Asus P8Z77-V) mainboard, one is Asmedia sata controller and another is Intel Z77 chipset sata controller. Which one is better?

Solution
Windows 10 should be in GPT, the installer will do this for you...though you will need to set your BIOS to UEFI(if the option is there). As for your storage controller, the SSD should be populating the first SATA data port native to your chipset(not the ASMedia controller), which is often times SATA_0 or 1. Once you install Windows 10,. shrink the partition for Windows 10 then install Linux.

Do make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to going ahead with installing the OSes.

Lutfij

Titan
Windows 10 should be in GPT, the installer will do this for you...though you will need to set your BIOS to UEFI(if the option is there). As for your storage controller, the SSD should be populating the first SATA data port native to your chipset(not the ASMedia controller), which is often times SATA_0 or 1. Once you install Windows 10,. shrink the partition for Windows 10 then install Linux.

Do make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to going ahead with installing the OSes.

Reactions: blue_rays
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I've bought a crucial 240GB sata SSD, and I want to partition it. I want to install windows 10 and a Linux distribution (maybe manjaro) on it. What's the best partitioning option so. Should it be MBR or GPT and can I install windows in UEFI mode? Also I have 2 SATA 6Gb slot on my (Asus P8Z77-V) mainboard, one is Asmedia sata controller and another is Intel Z77 chipset sata controller. Which one is better?
The Intel SATA controller is the one you want to use.

However...a 240GB SSD is rather slim to be split between 2 OS's.
That is right on the edge of TooSmall for Windows by itself.

Reactions: blue_rays