[SOLVED] Partnering a 8gb with a 4gb ram

Thom13

Reputable
May 27, 2016
Hi, I have a single stick of 8gb ram on my laptop and I am thinking about adding my extra 4gb ram. The question is will that cause any issue? And will it be dual channeled if I do it?

The 4gb ram is 2666mhz, dont know about the 8gb installed though, but I did asked the staff at my local shop when I bought the laptop and he said it was also 2666mhz. How can I check it? Will there be any problem if they are different in speed? Thanks in advance.

Laptop specs
Asus Tuf fx505dt
Ryzen 5 3550h
Gtx1650
8gb ram
1tb hdd

Solution
Mixing ram is luck. There is no way to say for sure whether it will work.
If they are different ram speeds the chance of working is slimmer. But if you already have the other ram it is worth a try.

You can look in task manager under the memory tab to see the speed of the installed ram. Alternatively, the stick of 8gb ram in the laptop should say the speed on it.

4+8gb will not run in dual channel properly.
Mixing ram is luck. There is no way to say for sure whether it will work.
If they are different ram speeds the chance of working is slimmer. But if you already have the other ram it is worth a try.

You can look in task manager under the memory tab to see the speed of the installed ram. Alternatively, the stick of 8gb ram in the laptop should say the speed on it.

4+8gb will not run in dual channel properly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS