cpeterm

Honorable
Feb 16, 2019
What is saver?
  1. Google/Chrome sync turned on and passwords in Chrome are saved to Google Account. CONVENIENT
  2. Passwords are only stored on Chrome on Windows 7 computer.
  3. Get Lastpass free pw manager and deactivate 1 and 2
Thanks

Solution
Thanks, good thoughtful answer.
Dont know MFA - can it be used for certain password only, like banks/payments?
Do you have usefull instruction link - Win 7?

Multi Factor Authentication
Basically would text (or other) each and every time you go to log in to specific sites or services. It's a good thing to use for super important stuff and accounts that can cost you money. It's a bit of a PITA when sites that just aren't that critical (that you use a lot) want to do it.

Chrome and Edge both will save passwords for you. If you utilize those aspects make SURE you have a very secure password and or log in method to devices that sync to it, particularly your phone.

As an aside from passwords, Windows 7 becomes less and less safe...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which is safer?
depends who you trust
1 & 3 have you trusting an outside party for the security of your passwords
2 means they only in 1 place and if you only user, they pretty safe here. Until you have problems with PC.

I would write them down on a piece of paper and store it somewhere safe as backup

I use 1 as its handy to have all my extensions, bookmarks and passwords anywhere I logon to. Other people feel different about that but so be it.

Reactions: cpeterm and aldan

cpeterm

Honorable
Feb 16, 2019
If your going local use Keypass.

If your going cloud last pass or bitwarden (chrome isn't bad)

If your self host try bitwarden

just turn on MFA to anything you use of course.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Basically would text (or other) each and every time you go to log in to specific sites or services. It's a good thing to use for super important stuff and accounts that can cost you money. It's a bit of a PITA when sites that just aren't that critical (that you use a lot) want to do it.

Chrome and Edge both will save passwords for you. If you utilize those aspects make SURE you have a very secure password and or log in method to devices that sync to it, particularly your phone.

As an aside from passwords, Windows 7 becomes less and less safe every day. Along with your passwords security, your OS being vulnerable is a wide open back door. I would consider moving up to 10 if your machine is capable. MS is being super lenient with upgrading license for same same upgrades 7 to 10, even still.

Solution

sonofjesse

Distinguished
You need to be on windows 10, MAC OSX current, or Linux current.

MFA/2FA is something you turn on per website or service. You can use google auth or AUTHY. SMS is a 2nd factor, but very weak compared to an MFA app.

This is not something that is on the OS, so you dont' need windows 7 instructions, it something you turn on for the service.

Take for example Toms hardware, you go into settings>password and security and enable two step verification.

cpeterm

Honorable
Feb 16, 2019

As an aside from passwords, Windows 7 becomes less and less safe every day. Along with your passwords security, your OS being vulnerable is a wide open back door. I would consider moving up to 10 if your machine is capable. MS is being super lenient with upgrading license for same same upgrades 7 to 10, even still.
Thanks again. Move from Win 7 ...... you make me cry. Will follow your MVA advice.