brabus241

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello, I have an Athlon based system, and I can't seem to get the Memory to run at 133 mhz.
AMD Athlon 800mhz Slot A
Asus K7V With Onboard Audio
Crucial PC-133
Western Digital HDD 30.7GB
3dfx VooDoo 3000 AGP
Cnet Ethernet card, 10/100
Windows 98 SE with all the updates
When I try to go in to the BIOS and change the memory from the default 100 mhz to 133, it lets me exit and then when it starts back up again, I get error beeps from the computer speaker. The next time I reboot, it will go back to BIOS and it will say "The last time you rebooted your system, it hung for too long" and then it will restore the default back to 100 mhz.
I would really appreciate it if you could help, Thanks!

brabus241

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I'm sure that it's PC-133 memory, and plus it's from Curical, it's a part of micron, so I don't think I got the wrong memory.

G

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but are you changing the FSB to 133? If so, that means you're trying to overclock your CPU to 8x133 MHz., and you can't do that with an Athlon...it won't run. Some motherboards may allow you to run your memory speed and FSB asynchronously, i.e., memory at 133 and FSB at 100. Check your manual. Pardon me if I've misunderstood.

Mike

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds to me like you may be right on the money, check to make sure you are not changing your bus speed to 133 FSB only your memory. If thisis not the case well then unfortunatly you have either a bad stick of memory, or a bad board, mostlikely the first but no neccesarily.

G

I have the same problem with an A7V Mb , the odd thing is that I have tried my generic PC100 Mem and this will run at 133.... go figure, I have not solve this as of yet and have had several cases of the same Problem all with the the Asus Boards.(I have 2 PC's with this problem) if you find a solution pls let me know.....

I answer to the question of over clocking the CPU as well as the mem Asus or Via don't know who owns it have this funky little device to allow you Mem to run at a different speed to you cpu

M

brabus241

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello, I've figured out the problem with trying to set the DRAM frequency to 133 mhz on the Asus K7V mainboard. The original BIOS didn't allow for it (1.003 or 1003). But the new BIOS version 1007 will allow for it. To flash your BIOS, you have to use aflash.exe which can also be downloaded from Asus's site. From then on just follow the instructions from the Mainboard Manual. The only thing you have to be careful about is that the new BIOS will be a zipped file which you have to of course unzip, but if you have a Kodak Photoviewer, or some program like that, it'll associate the BIOS update with the program! Needless to say you won't be able to flash the BIOS, because the aflash.exe won't even open the associated file. So you'll have to go in to DOS and rename the file, in my case from k7v1007.awd to k7v1007
Fromt then on just flash like it says in the manual, best of luck.