Question PC turns on but monitor shows no signal, I dont know what else to try.

Jul 4, 2024
I have had issues with my pc for a while now. A few months ago my monitor whould turn off randomly while my pc would stay on, this kept happening until i would turn my pc on and as soon as the windows screen popped up the monitor would lose signal.

After that stage only the lights and fan would turn on when i powed on my pc, showing nothing on the screen. so I reset the cmos, tried different monitors with different HDMI and dp cables none of that worked. So then i tested the power supply with a multimeter everything was good, then tried plugging the hdmi into the mobo and taking out the gpu, harddrive, ect and it still wasnt working.

I watched like 15 yt vids on how to fix it and nothing worked, and then my pc wouldn't turn on at all, so i brought a new mother boared (Gigabyte H610M) and cpu (i5 12th) thinking that was the issue and borrowed 2 ram sticks. After learning how to swap a mobo and put in a cpu the pc finally turned on showing a picture on the monitor but every 5 min or so after turning it on it would bsod so i reinstalled the drives for the mobo and gpu (rtx2060 super) and for 2 days it worked perfectly.

I turn it on the next day after it working, only for it to turn on for a minute then the monitor to show no signal and the pc to still be on, the exact same thing that happened with the other mobo. So now if i turn it on after more than like 7 hours of not using it it turns on for a minute doesn't matter if its the bios or recovery screen or windows then the monitor shows no signal, and if i try to restart it, the pc turns on but the monitor still shows no signal no matter what i do, unless i leave it off for multiple hours then everything works for a minute.

Ive tried everything i did with the other mobo again and looked through redit to find a solution but nothing works. Not even the gigabyte logo shows when i turn the pc on and i cant get to the bios either, but i can hear the windows start up sound though headphones, and i can also hear the sign in sound if i put in my pin but nothing shows on my monitor. I have tried multiple monitors plugged into the mobo and gpu so it cant be that.

I can use my pc perfectly for about 1 to 3 mins every couple of hours is there anything i should do in that time before the screen stops working?

I also didn't reinstall windows when i changed the mobo should i do that?

Could it be that windows 11 files are corrupted or my drivers? cause i don't know what it could be. If someone could help me it would be appreciated, I have spent months on trying to fix it.

Jul 4, 2024
I have had issues with my pc for a while now. A few months ago my monitor whould turn off randomly while my pc would stay on, this kept happening until i would turn my pc on and as soon as the windows screen popped up the monitor would lose signal.

After that stage only the lights and fan would turn on when i powed on my pc, showing nothing on the screen. so I reset the cmos, tried different monitors with different HDMI and dp cables none of that worked. So then i tested the power supply with a multimeter everything was good, then tried plugging the hdmi into the mobo and taking out the gpu, harddrive, ect and it still wasnt working.

I watched like 15 yt vids on how to fix it and nothing worked, and then my pc wouldn't turn on at all, so i brought a new mother boared (Gigabyte H610M) and cpu (i5 12th) thinking that was the issue and borrowed 2 ram sticks. After learning how to swap a mobo and put in a cpu the pc finally turned on showing a picture on the monitor but every 5 min or so after turning it on it would bsod so i reinstalled the drives for the mobo and gpu (rtx2060 super) and for 2 days it worked perfectly.

I turn it on the next day after it working, only for it to turn on for a minute then the monitor to show no signal and the pc to still be on, the exact same thing that happened with the other mobo. So now if i turn it on after more than like 7 hours of not using it it turns on for a minute doesn't matter if its the bios or recovery screen or windows then the monitor shows no signal, and if i try to restart it, the pc turns on but the monitor still shows no signal no matter what i do, unless i leave it off for multiple hours then everything works for a minute.

Ive tried everything i did with the other mobo again and looked through redit to find a solution but nothing works. Not even the gigabyte logo shows when i turn the pc on and i cant get to the bios either, but i can hear the windows start up sound though headphones, and i can also hear the sign in sound if i put in my pin but nothing shows on my monitor. I have tried multiple monitors plugged into the mobo and gpu so it cant be that.

I can use my pc perfectly for about 1 to 3 mins every couple of hours is there anything i should do in that time before the screen stops working?

I also didn't reinstall windows when i changed the mobo should i do that?

Could it be that windows 11 files are corrupted or my drivers? cause i don't know what it could be. If someone could help me it would be appreciated, I have spent months on trying to fix it.

I would start from the beginning and do a fresh install of windows - wipe the drive of all partitions during install. Remove all USB devices except KB and mouse, remove GPU if the MB has on board video, and install. Update windows with all updates and run the machine for a week to see if it works. If it does with no issues, then install the GPU. Run that for a week without issue, then install anything else.

TRENDING THREADS