[SOLVED] PC applications freezes after PC upgrade

SUPERMARIO_1

Reputable
Nov 6, 2016
Okay so. I just upgraded from an MSI z170a-G45 MOBO with a i7-6700 CPU, to a MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI MOBO and a AMD RYZEN 5600x CPU. I didn't really do a clean windows reinstall at first, and just plugged in everything into the new MOBO and called it a day. It started up perfectly fine, but as I started to use apps like Discord or Chrome, they start to freeze for a few seconds, before resuming, or crashing. This has been really irritating for me.

I've tried the following things:
Updated the BIOS
Reset my PC (Deleted all apps, and reset settings, but have kept Personal Data)

What I have noticed however, is that when my applications freeze, the CPU usage goes from the usual 20-30%, to 3-5%. I'm not sure if this information will help.

I'm not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

Solution
In Windows you have a Registry. It contains all the driver data, addressing, links etc. Guaranteed that you'll have at least 1 or more addresses/links that are not only set for the older Intel data, but also the newer Amd. Windows might be 'ok' at sorting itself out, but the Registry is not and when you get 2 opposing drivers or services or processes both trying to be active simultaneously, you get issues.

If you swap a diesel motor for a gasoline motor in a car, you absolutely must also drain the tank and lines as well, there's no getting around that.

Reinstall windows clean, it's the only way to reset the registry, msconfig and other basic operating files and removing the ghost of Intel.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Okay so. I just upgraded from an MSI z170a-G45 MOBO with a i7-6700 CPU, to a MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI MOBO and a AMD RYZEN 5600x CPU. I didn't really do a clean windows reinstall at first, and just plugged in everything into the new MOBO and called it a day. It started up perfectly fine, but as I started to use apps like Discord or Chrome, they start to freeze for a few seconds, before resuming, or crashing. This has been really irritating for me.

I've tried the following things:
Updated the BIOS
Reset my PC (Deleted all apps, and reset settings, but have kept Personal Data)

What I have noticed however, is that when my applications freeze, the CPU usage goes from the usual 20-30%, to 3-5%. I'm not sure if this information will help.

I'm not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

Download lubuntu, it's a lightweight ubuntu. It can run live from usb flash drive. There you have an operating system. if it doesn't freeze or crash, then you must reinstall windows. If lubuntu crashes, don't bother reinstalling windows:

Download lubuntu, it's a lightweight ubuntu. It can run live from usb flash drive. There you have an operating system. if it doesn't freeze or crash, then you must reinstall windows. If lubuntu crashes, don't bother reinstalling windows:

You're comparing apples to oranges, what might crash in Windows might not crash in Ubuntu. What then?

He's changed motherboard and I don't care what anyone else says, this fundamental a change requires a Windows reinstall to function properly and to know there are no old drivers messing things up. People who say Windows is now "good at sorting itself out" are sometimes right, but not always.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
this fundamental a change requires a Windows reinstall to function properly

That's when you presume that all new hardware are healthy.
You're convinced everything at base is fine and only awaiting Windows to be the cherry on top.
I want to diagnose the hardware without having to write 40GB windows on my ssd. besides it's good to have a small bootable usb, nice gadget.

That's when you presume that all new hardware are healthy.
You're convinced everything at base is fine and only awaiting Windows to be the cherry on top.
I want to diagnose the hardware without having to write 40GB windows on my ssd. besides it's good to have a small bootable usb, nice gadget.

General concensus is that a reinstall is best and that's the advice I'm sticking to here.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
General consensus is that a reinstall is best and that's the advice I'm sticking to here.

20190319_tuesday_quote.jpg

btw, I'm allergic to general

20190319_tuesday_quote.jpg

btw, I'm allergic to general

Well bully for you. How does that help the OP?

I suggest you perhaps try to assist the original poster as opposed to trying to create and win an argument on the Internet.

OP, you won't know whether the software is an issue unless you clean install it, takes about 15 minutes nowadays and given that Windows, not Lubuntu, is your operating system of choice, that's the one I'd try and clean install. In terms of testing your hardware, the Windows installer isn't bad for that.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I didn't say use lubuntu as the operating system of choice. I said use a live usb to diagnose your hardware. lubuntu has a smaller download size.
It does help the OP, because he may end up installing windows several times, making his ssd 100gb old. just do a simple hardware test.
you're assuming that all the new hardware are in perfect health. That's not my perspective. I like to make sure every device works fine before installing giant windows.

I put my idea there and you started the argument. I never attacked your solution. I only defended mine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In Windows you have a Registry. It contains all the driver data, addressing, links etc. Guaranteed that you'll have at least 1 or more addresses/links that are not only set for the older Intel data, but also the newer Amd. Windows might be 'ok' at sorting itself out, but the Registry is not and when you get 2 opposing drivers or services or processes both trying to be active simultaneously, you get issues.

If you swap a diesel motor for a gasoline motor in a car, you absolutely must also drain the tank and lines as well, there's no getting around that.

Reinstall windows clean, it's the only way to reset the registry, msconfig and other basic operating files and removing the ghost of Intel.

Solution