Jan 24, 2023
Hello everyone,
I have a PC with a ASUS Z97X Killer Motherboard and an Intel i7. My pc died the other day and is now not booting. Whenever I plug the power and turn on the PC it stays on for like 30 secs, then shuts off, then it restarts itself for five seconds trying to boot, fails again, and starts this endless loop of powering up for 5secs and turning off, only way to stop this is turn off the PSU (shutdown/power button not working)

The monitor never starts, also I have removed everything but motherboard+processor+psu and its still the same, I tried another working PSU to discard a possible fault on the component but nothing changed
Also cleared CMOS and replaced the battery, and tried with another bios motherboard has. I would try flashing bios but since any monitor ever wakes up (they work)

Any tips or recommendations? I think my PSU / Processor might have died but I w ant to check all possible options before having to buy multiple components again, or know which one of the two is the dead one :(

Thanks for any tips you give, lets try to frankenstein this thing

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
ASUS Z97X Killer Motherboard and an Intel i7

Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

also I have removed everything but motherboard+processor+psu and its still the same

Without RAM in the system, PC won't work. Nor does it without CPU cooler.

I tried another working PSU to discard a possible fault on the component but nothing changed

If you tried 2nd PSU without RAM, it's obvious why PC didn't work.
Btw, 2nd PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the 2nd PSU is, and was the 2nd PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Jan 24, 2023
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Without RAM in the system, PC won't work. Nor does it without CPU cooler.

If you tried 2nd PSU without RAM, it's obvious why PC didn't work.
Btw, 2nd PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the 2nd PSU is, and was the 2nd PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Hi Aeacus, thanks for the reply
My sistem specs are:
  • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
  • Processor: i7-4790k
  • PSU Corsair RM650 Model 75-001936 (The other psu is a working corsair cm600 from my friend)
  • Ram is 2x4 Corsair vengeance and another normal brand 1x8
  • Graphics card is a gtx1060

I have tried with ram also, checking with only 1 stick of the various I have to see if it was a ram model failure (btw, shouldnt the bios boot even without ram?)
The CPU cooler is always on and working, I even changed the paste

Before checking the psu i tried the ram tests also, and im pretty sure they are ok since one of them is fairly new
The thing is that the bios does not even boot, the screens do not show anything (neither with graphics card or with detached card and motherboard hdmi), so I am a bit lost here.
Also, this motherboard has 2 bios you can switch with a jumper, i tried the other one yesterday after a cmos clear and its the same, maybe flashing bios? But im guessing hardware error
How would you discard / pinpoint the piece that is not working?

Thanks for the support!!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU Corsair RM650 Model 75-001936

How old the PSU is? And was it bought new or used/refurbished?

btw, shouldnt the bios boot even without ram?

No.

BIOS only boot works when you don't have OS drive (or any other storage drive connected). But for PC to POST, it will need CPU, MoBo, RAM and CPU cooler. Oh, PSU too to power it and monitor so you can see what is going on.

Ram is 2x4 Corsair vengeance and another normal brand 1x8

RAM mixing is a bad idea.
Further reading: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

i tried the ram tests also, and im pretty sure they are ok since one of them is fairly new

Which RAM test specifically? :unsure:

Also, just because one of them is "fairly new", doesn't mean it's good idea to mix the RAM. Moreover, even brand new RAM can have issues, hence why RAM comes with warranty.

Also, this motherboard has 2 bios you can switch with a jumper, i tried the other one yesterday after a cmos clear and its the same, maybe flashing bios?

It is possible that one of the two BIOSes is corrupt. So, just because it has two, doesn't mean they both work.

And with BIOS flash, you can brick the MoBo, IF the update/flash would be interrupted by whatever reason.

How would you discard / pinpoint the piece that is not working?

With 2nd, compatible hardware PC. Where you can test out your components individually.

At current moment, one of the three (or all of them) are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM.

Jan 24, 2023
Hey, I have tested again and I have revived the PC
It was one of the 2x4 rams i had, fairly good but its been like 7 years with it
Now its booting up, I will do another round of tests to ensure it keeps going
Thanks for your help Aeacus!

Reactions: Aeacus
Jan 24, 2023
I probably messed up when I tested the rams and I must have done all with the broken one (since i was starting my pc with only 1 stick)
I disconnected everything but psu and processor + fan and it loaded up bios so i started adding components (hdd, ram, etc) until i pinpointed the error