[SOLVED] PC boot sometimes, but most don't

Dec 31, 2019
hello from a few days I have encountered a strange problem my pc does not start most of the time, not even in the BIOS (each time the fans and discs also run for several seconds). When everything starts it seems to work, only once it has suddenly turned off and also doing the restarts below everything works. the problem is that when it is turned off for a while, afterwards it falls into the loop of ignitions without success.

• I have already tried to remove all and discs and the video card, the problem remains
  • I tested removing the ram and the motherboard does the classic sequence of beeps
  • I reset the bios by re-installing (v. 2.0) and resetting the CMOS
this is the hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB
MBD: Asrock B75 Pro3-M (bios 2.0 installed)
SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB
SSD: Kingston SSD A400, 480 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016)
PSU: Cooler Master GX-650 Bronze
Monitor: Lenovo L27i Monitor 1080p, 2 pieces

I am attaching videos of when the problem arises:

Series of reboots
NO RAM

in both cases the signal you have monitor is null most of the times and when there is only a little the led of the monitor lights up but for a few seconds with the black screen. I also noticed that by making the ignition fail many times, an error message arrives that allows me to access the bios then start it, temperatures are always below 45 degrees.

Solution
sorry I'm late but these days I was away from home. I also did tests on each ram slot with each piece of ram, and nothing does not turn on with any. therefore I would exclude that the problem concerns ram or ram slot.

so I think cpu and mobo remain

The only other possibility from there would be that something got bent / broken underneath the CPU socket, and if that does, the only way to fix that is to check for bent pins, and bend them back into place if possible.
Dec 31, 2019
Most likely that PSU is either dead or dying. Those Cooler Master GX units are not meant for long term usage, if any. I would suggest trying your system with a much better PSU like a Seasonic Focus or an EVGA G2.

I also think it has arrived. thanks for your advice i will buy a new power supply hoping to solve this annoying problem

Dec 31, 2019
v2.0 is beta BIOS. Latest BIOS version is v1.9.

Anyway - try booting with a single ram module.

yes I know, but I installed it from the day it came out and it never gave me problems, I don't think that's the problem, for the ram I have already tried and the power on success remains random

Yes,you should have a new PSU.

I tried with two psu, a corsair cx 430 (which I had at home) and everything seemed to be fine, so I ordered a new one but with this the situation is even worse I was unable to get it started even after several failures

I tried with two psu, a corsair cx 430 (which I had at home) and everything seemed to be fine, so I ordered a new one but with this the situation is even worse I was unable to get it started even after several failures
Please explain. The situation is worse with a new power supply? Or the situation is getting worse with the existing power supply (while the new one is on order)?

Reactions: Ninnix
Dec 31, 2019
Please explain. The situation is worse with a new power supply? Or the situation is getting worse with the existing power supply (while the new one is on order)?

sorry I say the situation has worsened with the new, but also with the old. now it is difficult to be able to start it and if I can it switches off shortly after with both

Dec 31, 2019
Can you return the Thermaltake? Honestly if a Corsair 430 works, I would be getting one of those. I have never bought a Thermaltake personally, but I have seen plenty of dead ones (they still looked pretty though).

they are low budget but don't seem so cheap. yes I have already made the return on amazon. I think the 430 cx was only lucky to always start in the 3-4 attempts I made in two days.

I don't know if I should take another power supply...

Dec 31, 2019
Most likely that PSU is either dead or dying. Those Cooler Master GX units are not meant for long term usage, if any. I would suggest trying your system with a much better PSU like a Seasonic Focus or an EVGA G2.

Can you return the Thermaltake? Honestly if a Corsair 430 works, I would be getting one of those. I have never bought a Thermaltake personally, but I have seen plenty of dead ones (they still looked pretty though).

I also took a Seasonic SS-620 Bronze, 620W but the result is always the same. what can I do? could it be the motherboard or its battery?

g-unit1111

Titan
I also took a Seasonic SS-620 Bronze, 620W but the result is always the same. what can I do? could it be the motherboard or its battery?

The only way I would see that the motherboard battery would be a possibility would be depending on the age of the motherboard. Those motherboard batteries are generally designed to last years before needing a replacement. If it's several years old then it could be in need of a replacement but for the most part I doubt that is the problem.

The only way I would see that the motherboard battery would be a possibility would be depending on the age of the motherboard. Those motherboard batteries are generally designed to last years before needing a replacement. If it's several years old then it could be in need of a replacement but for the most part I doubt that is the problem.
Well the board could be up to 8 years old, so a battery could be failing. However, the most tell-tale sign of a failing CMOS battery is that it will no longer keep the time and date. If the computer can be powered up for extended periods (an hour or more) and still remember the date and time, the CMOS battery is probably OK. I am not saying I am 100% sure the board isn't causing your problem, only that the CMOS battery itself is very limited in the errors it will cause (have to reset date/time, may need to reset some BIOS settings).

Dec 31, 2019

Well the board could be up to 8 years old, so a battery could be failing. However, the most tell-tale sign of a failing CMOS battery is that it will no longer keep the time and date. If the computer can be powered up for extended periods (an hour or more) and still remember the date and time, the CMOS battery is probably OK. I am not saying I am 100% sure the board isn't causing your problem, only that the CMOS battery itself is very limited in the errors it will cause (have to reset date/time, may need to reset some BIOS settings).

yes, even in my opinion, in fact I have never had problems of loss of information on date or bios settings. then what could it be? I do not know what to do

g-unit1111

Titan
yes, even in my opinion, in fact I have never had problems of loss of information on date or bios settings. then what could it be? I do not know what to do

So the PSU has been replaced and it's not the motherboard. I would say the next step would be that it's possible that you could have a dead memory module. The only way to ensure that is to check every RAM module you have and test each one in each slot to see.

Dec 31, 2019
So the PSU has been replaced and it's not the motherboard. I would say the next step would be that it's possible that you could have a dead memory module. The only way to ensure that is to check every RAM module you have and test each one in each slot to see.

I'm not excluding the motherboard, I said the battery still seems to go despite the years. the ram is recognized each bank correctly when the pc starts up and I have tried with only one bank and the problem remains

g-unit1111

Titan
Why do we know it's not the motherboard? That is at the top of my list right now, based on what the OP is saying. The fact that it worked for a while with the other power supply appears to have been nothing more than a fluke.

Yeah you are right, I wouldn't rule that out entirely. The thing is it could still be any number of things - RAM module fail, it could be a motherboard fail, it could be an HD fail, it could be a power-related fail, I'm just trying to rule out what has been already tried in this thread so far.

Reactions: Ninnix
Dec 31, 2019
Yeah you are right, I wouldn't rule that out entirely. The thing is it could still be any number of things - RAM module fail, it could be a motherboard fail, it could be an HD fail, it could be a power-related fail, I'm just trying to rule out what has been already tried in this thread so far.

for now I have only run tests changing the power supply. and testing each bank of ram individually. but I could also test the disks even if I think that I would get the maximum a bsod or in any case I should always be able to access the bios

g-unit1111

Titan
for now I have only run tests changing the power supply. and testing each bank of ram individually. but I could also test the disks even if I think that I would get the maximum a bsod or in any case I should always be able to access the bios

As long as you get a POST code and it boots up then you should be able to access the BIOS, assuming that everything is hooked up correctly and it gets power going to the motherboard. If not then chances are good that something got bent / broken somewhere, I would check for bent pins on the motherboard.

Dec 31, 2019
As long as you get a POST code and it boots up then you should be able to access the BIOS, assuming that everything is hooked up correctly and it gets power going to the motherboard. If not then chances are good that something got bent / broken somewhere, I would check for bent pins on the motherboard.

No pin is bent also because sometimes the PC turns on for even hours without turning off ( Then it switches off, first by eliminating the video signal and after a few seconds by switching off ) the video in the op shows that the motherboard always arrives at the ram check always because if I eliminate the ram on motherboard performs the classic beap.