[SOLVED] PC boots, but rarely, and only when changing memory between slots

dakrazeedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Hi all,

A computer I built a few years ago for a family member has recently come back into my care.
It has a very strange issue - it rarely boots at all (I'd say about one in twenty times), but when it does boot, it works absolutely fine - stress testing and memory checks included.

I've tried replacing virtually everything aside from the motherboard and the CPU with parts I know are working and compatible, with no success.
When I do get it to boot, it's a really specific procedure - only one specific stick of RAM works, only in slot 1 or two, and never from the same slot twice.
I've also tried:
  • Resetting the CMOS, both from jumper and removing the battery
  • Leaving it on for a few days while booting
  • Leaving in off and disconnected for a few days
  • Booting to a different OS
  • Booting with bare minimal components (no disk, no GPU, etc)

I suspect it's a motherboard or memory issue, but I really can't say - so I'm asking this both from curiosity and small hope to salvage it - what could be the source of this strange issue?
May also be worthwhile to note it was very well taken care of - no dust, no overheating, no physical damage or anything - it really looks brand new.
I'd appreciate any assistance.
Thanks!

The computer's specs are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i3 4330
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX-Fury 1600Mhz 8GB HX316C10F/8
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
  • PSU: Seasonic SSP-550RT

Solution
If dust cleaning and different set of RAM modules does not help, then take your MOBO to repair service. Look like your MOBO developed cold soldering somewhere around DIMM slot. However before taking to repair check it around RAM slots with zooming lens and bright light like flashlight very thoroughly. It may be that some little metal sliver stuck under one of slots and cause temporary short.
Hi all,

A computer I built a few years ago for a family member has recently come back into my care.
It has a very strange issue - it rarely boots at all (I'd say about one in twenty times), but when it does boot, it works absolutely fine - stress testing and memory checks included.

I've tried replacing virtually everything aside from the motherboard and the CPU with parts I know are working and compatible, with no success.
When I do get it to boot, it's a really specific procedure - only one specific stick of RAM works, only in slot 1 or two, and never from the same slot twice.
I've also tried:
I suspect it's a motherboard or memory issue, but I really can't say - so I'm asking this both from curiosity and small hope to salvage it - what could be the source of this strange issue?
May also be worthwhile to note it was very well taken care of - no dust, no overheating, no physical damage or anything - it really looks brand new.
Thanks!

The computer's specs are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i3 4330
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX-Fury 1600Mhz 8GB HX316C10F/8
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
  • PSU: Seasonic SSP-550RT
May I Ask just to be clear,is this a laptop or a desktop?

I've also tried:
Thanks!
The Malfunctioning Dimm Slot may be caused by rust or dust and other foreign build ups..
May I suggest you to clean it using a can of compressed air to remove any build ups in there...

Keep us Updated :)

dakrazeedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
The Malfunctioning Dimm Slot may be caused by rust or dust and other foreign build ups..
May I suggest you to clean it using a can of compressed air to remove any build ups in there...

Keep us Updated :)
Thanks for the tip.
I did clean the slots and even the DIMM itself with no improvement.
The case is also dust filtered so dust really wasn't an issue to begin with.

Thanks for the tip.
I did clean the slots and even the DIMM itself with no improvement.
The case is also dust filtered so dust really wasn't an issue to begin with.
Oh,I see..May I ask if you saw rust in the DIMM slot or Ram??
If nothing,then Can you try putting in a different Ram from your Friend or someone or if you have a spare that is compatible for you and see if it fixed your problem...

If dust cleaning and different set of RAM modules does not help, then take your MOBO to repair service. Look like your MOBO developed cold soldering somewhere around DIMM slot. However before taking to repair check it around RAM slots with zooming lens and bright light like flashlight very thoroughly. It may be that some little metal sliver stuck under one of slots and cause temporary short.

Solution

dakrazeedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013

That's a great idea - haven't done that yet.
Will try and report back. Thanks!