Question PC boots to UEFI after being unplugged for hours

krony_canvas

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello there.

Recently I've moved house, the first time I turned my PC on it booted to UEFI. So I setup some of my custom settings as they had been lost and continued. After shut down I switch the power off from the outlet (this is every day). The next day I turn the PC back on it boots back to UEFI, my settings are gone and the time is out (it seems to remember the time for about 5 hours after shut down). The first thing that comes to me is maybe the CMOS battery has died, the PC is about 4 to 5 years old.

Now my PC has no new peripherals added or hardware, so its "technically" the same PC, also when the computer is running there is no issue with any features such as display, sound, internet, storage etc. Before I go and attempt to change my CMOS battery, is there an easy way to determine if the CMOS battery is my problem? Basically I have the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO and looking around online it seems to be a pain in the bottom to replace the CMOS battery due to the "armour" on the motherboard.

So basically is there any way I can fully confirm that this is a CMOS issue and not something else?

Cheers for reading.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Second, did you try replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell? The issue could be that in itself and not perhaps a grounding issue, although we might need to go into that a little later, after you've replaced the battery. Believe me, that's easier than everything else.

krony_canvas

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I do apologize. Here is my full spec. I'm gonna replace the CMOS battery and I will keep ya posted (need to order/purchase one first)

CPU: I7-8700K 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
Ram: 32gb Ram 2667 MHz Ballistix
SSD/HDD: Kingston SV300S37A240G, Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB, 2 HDD 1TB
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Corsair TX850
Chassis: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P
Monitor: Acer 4k & Samsung

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Hello there.

Recently I've moved house, the first time I turned my PC on it booted to UEFI. So I setup some of my custom settings as they had been lost and continued. After shut down I switch the power off from the outlet (this is every day). The next day I turn the PC back on it boots back to UEFI, my settings are gone and the time is out (it seems to remember the time for about 5 hours after shut down). The first thing that comes to me is maybe the CMOS battery has died, the PC is about 4 to 5 years old.

Now my PC has no new peripherals added or hardware, so its "technically" the same PC, also when the computer is running there is no issue with any features such as display, sound, internet, storage etc. Before I go and attempt to change my CMOS battery, is there an easy way to determine if the CMOS battery is my problem? Basically I have the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO and looking around online it seems to be a pain in the bottom to replace the CMOS battery due to the "armour" on the motherboard.

So basically is there any way I can fully confirm that this is a CMOS issue and not something else?

Cheers for reading.

A CMOS battery (CR2032 is most common) is like $5 each or even for a pair at nearly any drugstore, supermarket, or hardware store.

IMHO there's really no rational excuse for not using that as a "first try" remedy for something like this.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
It's seems like the CMOS battery. I would change it 1st, before anything else.
As mention before, you can find one in a drugstore, supermarket, hardware store or even in a jewelery.