Question PC boots up, and then immediately shuts down - have replaced PSU and no change.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I have a HP Elite 8300 CMT with i7-3770, 32GB RAM, a 1050ti, 500GB HDD and 1TB HDD (320W HP PSU). Was all working fine and made no recent hardware changes when suddenly would not boot up properly (turn on for a few seconds and then before screen had time to turn on would boot down, then try and restart again and so on). Bought a second-hand identical PSU and replaced and it worked for a day with no issues and then moreorless the same occurred again. It now boots up for a few minutes, reaches the login page, after I enter my details it starts to load, then eventually says shutting down as if I had shut it down from windows, then shuts down (I managed to disable automatic restart one time it booted up in a repair mode).

Not sure if both PSUs are bad or if I have a motherboard issue (have taken out/re-seated the RAM and the graphics card and tried to clean some of the dust, also replaced the thermal paste on the CPU). Not getting any electric shocks or anything off the case. Haven't been able to test yet if it is an issue with a dodgy kettle lead but I don't know how likely that is.

At quite a loss and don't want to have to buy a new PC - also fairly restricted on upgrading the wattage of the PSU if that is the issue since HP using proprietary connection rather than the standard PSU-motherboard connector and I have heard mixed things about adapters.

Any advice would be much appreciated as it doesn't appear that anything is fried or hugely broken as the PC can turn on and operate windows to the point I can enter login information, and replacing the PSU allowed it to work with zero issues for over a day - I feel there must be something I am missing as the PC just refuses to stay on.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
If the computer is not suddenly powering off, it might not be the PSU or motherboard.
It could be corrupted OS or an issue with the boot disk.
It did start happening the day after I forced a shutdown using the power button (pure laziness if I remember right) so maybe that has messed it up? Any tips on how I would diagnose this/solve it?

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Can you boot into safe mode or recovery mode?
You could SFC (System File Checker) in Safe Mode and Recovery Mode to fix corrupted OS files
You could also use a Windows installation disk to repair the OS.
Struggling to get it into safe or recovery mode as it boots, then after loading for a bit, says shutting down (normal windows appearance as if I had done it myself through windows) and then shuts down, before I can really do anything.