jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
Hi all.

A couple of years ago I built my work (3D animation) PC with the following spec:

Asus Prime Z370-A
Intel i7-8700K 3.7GHz
4x Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Corsair RM1000x PSU

However, I have had continual issues of crashing. For stability reasons I ended up removing the GTX 1080Ti card and replacing with my older GTX 1080 card. This helped the stability issue but my work situation means that I am now really in need to use as much GPU power as I have available. It was my intention that this build would be able to run both cards fine (hence the powerful PSU) but the stability is even worse when both cards are being used. I'd really like to get to the bottom of what the problem is.

I've attached a screen grab of HWMonitor, in which my computer crashed, so I'm hoping that might shed some light?

To give an example of the crash behavior, the software I'm using (it's happened in both After Effects and Cinema 4D) freezes for a few secs. The screen goes black for a short while, and then it eventually comes back and the software has closed down.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated.

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
As a test, I've tried running the latest FurMark GPU Stress test and it always crashes without fail.

I even used MSI Afterburner to under-clock the power limit(50%), core clock(-400MHz) and memory clock(-502MHz) as much as possible and FurMark still caused my machine to crash.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,
Jamie

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
Hi all. I'm hoping that bumping this on a Monday might help with getting some response?

Over the weekend I have carried out a clean install of Windows 10 and I've also ran a memtest86 (12 hours!!) with no sign of errors.

I can run userbenchmark fine with no issues, but I'm still getting regular crashes and freezes when using the 1080Ti for work (in Cinema 4D and After Effects).

Once again, any help is massively appreciated.

Jun 2, 2020
I'd be most worried about the 1080Ti having issues, followed the PSU in case it's not properly providing power for the card. But if you don't have issue with the 1080 installed, it might rule out the PSU.

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
I'd be most worried about the 1080Ti having issues, followed the PSU in case it's not properly providing power for the card. But if you don't have issue with the 1080 installed, it might rule out the PSU.

This is the second 1080Ti I've tried with the same results. I sent the first one back via RMA and got a replacement (I checked the serial numbers just in case). I've also tested it with a different but equally powerful PSU and again, same problem.

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
-UPDATE-
I've also updated my motherboard BIOS to latest version - problem still exists
I have a .csv file from HWiNFO that was running as it crashed. More than happy to share that if it helps?