kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Hello, I recently updated my motherboard, CPU, RAM and GFX Card.

It seems to have major problems, because it shuts down all the time. It does not reboot, it shuts down.

Here's the components:

Motherboard:
Asus P5N72-T Premium
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 ghz
RAM:
4go Kingston DDR3
GFX:
EVGA NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Drives:
WD 500gb SATA
WD 120gb (on a raid controller)
CD:
HP DVDRW 20x

I already tried, without any success to unplug all the cd drives and hdd's except my 500gb SATA..

kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Just bought it, uh let me check a sec...

Thermaltake PUREPOWER 430w.

I don't think it is the issue, mainly because it is new, and because my old one didnt work, neither did a 600w of the same brand.

kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Well man, how the can it be my PSU? it's brand new, bought it today for this build. I can't be too weak, the 600w does the exact same thing. And the one I had before I bought that one did the same, too and it wasnt a Thermaltake

That PSU is garbage.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/1

Here's some quotes from the review of the Purepower 430:

"The conclusion is that according to our methodology Thermaltake Purepower 430 W NP isn’t a 430 W power supply, but a 350 W model! We also could only pull 16 A from its +12 V output, while the label says the limit is 18 A."

"Our conclusion is pretty simple: don’t buy this power supply."

It doesn't sound like you've used a decent PSU in this system yet. The 9800GT needs more power than this PSU can produce.

Another thing to check is the RAM settings. What exact model of RAM do you have? Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Have you run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Haven't looked at the ram yet, I might check it out tomorrow, It's getting late here, I'm going to sleep soon.

But like I said, I used the 600 w version of it, too, and yet the same problem remained. I'm running low on money also, is there any way to avoid upgrading my PSU?

Well, if the 600W PSU was a Thermaltake Purepower PSU it was probably a POS also. It was probably more like a low-end 450W - 500W PSU. Thermaltake likes to give their PSU's a rating that's higher than they can acually produce. You really need to look for a quality PSU from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc... Going from one POS to another doesn't eliminate the PSU as the problem.

kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Alright. But let me tell you something. This build was running fine on my other computer, with the 600w PSU. Never had any shutdown problem at all. Only thing I switched was the case, HDDs and DVD Drives. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I know you're right, but you have to admit this is really ****ed up in itself, isnt it?

--sorry the kinda bad words filter filtered out my whole post.

1) check the power button to see that it isn't stuck and it's wires to see if it's exposed somewhere in the event that it's contacting the case.

2) Run memtest to eliminate the RAM as the culprit

3) Get a decent PSU.

kochon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
If memtest is a program, how can I run it if I can't even last long enough to install an OS ?

I'm gonna stick to point 1 and 3 :p thanks