[SOLVED] Pc build to edit any 4k raw footage in DaVinci - 3k€ budg. (help)

Jun 18, 2020
Hello!

Alright, so I understand very little of computers. All I gathered was with a month of research and 30 tabs opened on chrome 10 hours a day looking for components and comparing them. Im going crazy, help.

I'll be doing heavy short-film editing and need an efficient workstation that allows me to fully utilize DaVinci Resolve Studio without playback issues, minimal crashes and a smooth performance overall. Video wise, I'll be doing mostly color grading and some effects but nothing crazy on the gpu side of things. I will be working, though, with timelines that might go wild in what concerns to audio production.

It's hard to find advice on my very specific needs but I sort of built what I think will work. However, I'm really insecure about the whole thing.

Note: I will be working with max 1.5TB of media (hopefully. Looking for other external storage solutions meanwhile).

This is what I came up with:

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900x

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce 8GB 3X OC [after so many doubts, I think this is enough for my needs. Don't prove me wrong, I beg you xD)

Internal storage (god help me. I know I'd benefit best from a nas system from what I read but I'm working alone on the editing side of things, no real need for the sharing feature rn, and it’s way too costly for me):

SSD 1 (for media and project files) - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe (I thought about 4.0, but samsung is just so reliable and I figure this is enough speed for my needs)
SSD 2 (OS and editing software, some games) - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB MLC V-NAND SATA
SSD 3 (Cache) - M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue SN550 500GB 3D NAND NVME
HDD (Personal files) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB

Motherboard - Extended-ATX MSI Prestige X570 Creation

Cooler - Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro

PSU - Corsair RM 850W (2019) 80+ Gold

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Budget: 3k euros (if possible. But please, if this isn't enough, ignore the budget and just tell me what I need as a, lets say, recommended setup)

Thank you so much for your attention! :)

Solution
In my opinion, your research paid off. (Currently Ex) 3D modeler here

CPU - just perfect for your needs
GPU - enough for your needs ;) You can even game on it, no sweat. It will handle GUI of all your apps handily and it ain't no slouch. 2070 is enough, but with Super you're covered. Heck, it matches my 1080 ti.

Storage drives - Whoa, you're covered. I'm jealous. Hardware you picked is good, you should have plenty of storage. Maybe you could consider fitting in 4TB or even 6 TB HDD instead of 2TB one, so you have more options for backing up your footage internally.

RAM - If your budget allows, go for 64GB of RAM. I have found in some scenarios having lots of ram quite useful. There was a 3d scene of a city I was working on in a...

vjekoslav

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014

GPU - enough for your needs ;) You can even game on it, no sweat. It will handle GUI of all your apps handily and it ain't no slouch. 2070 is enough, but with Super you're covered. Heck, it matches my 1080 ti.

Storage drives - Whoa, you're covered. I'm jealous. Hardware you picked is good, you should have plenty of storage. Maybe you could consider fitting in 4TB or even 6 TB HDD instead of 2TB one, so you have more options for backing up your footage internally.

RAM - If your budget allows, go for 64GB of RAM. I have found in some scenarios having lots of ram quite useful. There was a 3d scene of a city I was working on in a collaboration with a studio. The scene once opened, plus all the tabs in photoshop "ate" 40GB of ram... But that's quite specific scenario, not sure you need as much for any video editing. 32Gb might be just a sweet spot.

PSU - decent, good quality.

cheers

Solution
Jun 18, 2020

RAM - If your budget allows, go for 64GB of RAM. I have found in some scenarios having lots of ram quite useful. There was a 3d scene of a city I was working on in a collaboration with a studio. The scene once opened, plus all the tabs in photoshop "ate" 40GB of ram... But that's quite specific scenario, not sure you need as much for any video editing. 32Gb might be just a sweet spot.

PSU - decent, good quality.

cheers

Thank you for your answer! Exactly what I needed to hear :D Concerning the hdd, I will get two external drives (as cheap has good quality lets me) to store finished projects and back up the ones im working on so that not everything is internal (I forgot to mention that) so the 2 TB is just there to store random stuff.

Concerning the RAM, I appreciate your real word opinion. I will definitely consider that, even if for future proof or times I'll need to have several stuff opened.

I appreciate you took the time to read everything!

Thank you :D

Last edited: