Question PC Can Only Connects to ARC/EARC HDMI plug

Sep 10, 2022
Dear guys,

I have a very interesting situation that I cannot find the solution (yet) hence trying to ask here.

Graphic Card is Tuf RX 6800 XT
System; 5600x + B550f Strix Gaming Wifi

Display 1; 144hz QHD Gigabyte G27Q
Display 2; Sony X950G 55” 4k 60hz 1080p 120hz

So, Just a couple days ago I bought HDMI 2.0 cable, and fits it to my TV, I am quiet surprised here, knowing how my system can only be plugged into HDMI 3, the plug which stated as arc/earc option too. If I plug it to HDMI 1 2 4, which is just normal HDMI plug no arc/earc feature, it simply said “no signal”

I try turning it on, off, unplug and plug back in, nothing works, only works when I put it to that HDMI 3 which has earc option.

Is this because 6800 xt got 2.1 port hence it doesn’t really match the port 2.0 on my tv and somehow maybe, hdmi earc / arc port allows it for whatever reason?

Apart from all this, everything works as it should, but always wanna learn what’s reason behind something and if there’s a workaround, just in case. Because for whatever reason, I do believe there could be higher input lag on this earc/arc port, not sure if it’s just my assumption, but feels like it.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
FYI... "ARC" stands for "audio return channel" and is meant to be used with soundbars, speakers and streaming boxes, so that you can get the tv's audio sent thru the HDMI cable to your speaker/soundbar etc without using RCA or optical cables..

It really has nothing to do with a pc's graphics card or its output signal....

And even if your gpu has a 2.1 port, they are backwards compatible with 2.0 ports & cables...

It sounds as though you just need to switch the source/input setting on your tv to either HDMI 1 or 2, and then plug the HDMI cable into the same port, power on the TV, and the restart your pc....

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to do, please post back with some additional clarification :)

Sep 10, 2022
FYI... "ARC" stands for "audio return channel" and is meant to be used with soundbars, speakers and streaming boxes, so that you can get the tv's audio sent thru the HDMI cable to your speaker/soundbar etc without using RCA or optical cables..

It really has nothing to do with a pc's graphics card or its output signal....

And even if your gpu has a 2.1 port, they are backwards compatible with 2.0 ports & cables...

It sounds as though you just need to switch the source/input setting on your tv to either HDMI 1 or 2, and then plug the HDMI cable into the same port, power on the TV, and the restart your pc....

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to do, please post back with some additional clarification :)

Thanks for the reply,

I understood that I need to set the input to the right input and yes no luck, ONLY way this can work is if the cable is plugged into EARC / ARC Port which is HDMI 3. I don't quiet understand this. and I did searched how this arc stands for audio kind of thing too.

That's why I confuse why this can work on other hdmi port of my tv. The ironic thing is, if I use hdmi to my monitor, it works just perfectly perfect. And I don't think my tv got issue because my laptop can connect there just fine.