Question PC Case Fans Loud Until PC Turned Off and On

Jan 11, 2024
Hi, my PC is getting old and suddenly the case fan in the back of my PC began getting loud every time I boot it up in the morning. It fixes when I shut the PC completely off (restarting doesn't work) and turn it back on after a few seconds.

I have to do this every day. I thought it was the case fan itself, so I did replace it but it still has the same problem. I can tell it's that fan because it sounds different since I changed it but it's still going like high speed and kind of rattling. Again, it fixes every time I shut down the pc and turn it back on and the problem only returns if my computer is off for awhile.

I have no clue how to fix this. I built this PC myself about 7 years ago.

Specs:
System: Windows 10

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial CT8G4DFD8213 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory (x2)

SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card

Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Corsair 700w PSU (I forgot the exact one)

Jan 11, 2024
With the case open and the system running, if you stop the fan, does the sound stop?
Well I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to test that because it only comes back after being off for awhile. It's quiet now since I turned it off and on. I assume the sound would stop, since it's very obviously that fan making the noise.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to test that because it only comes back after being off for awhile. It's quiet now since I turned it off and on. I assume the sound would stop, since it's very obviously that fan making the noise.
Verification is important as you have several spinning things that can cause such sounds. You stated changing the rear fan, yet the sound persists. That is odd.

Jan 11, 2024
Verification is important as you have several spinning things that can cause such sounds. You stated changing the rear fan, yet the sound persists. That is odd.
Yes but I have opened the case and the fan was obviously making the noise, it gets VERY loud. And sometimes it doesn't happen when I turn on the PC, but most of the time it does. And since I've replaced the fan it sounds different but still loud (like it's going really fast) so I'm pretty sure it's that fan. But I will check it when I can.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes but I have opened the case and the fan was obviously making the noise, it gets VERY loud. And sometimes it doesn't happen when I turn on the PC, but most of the time it does. And since I've replaced the fan it sounds different but still loud (like it's going really fast) so I'm pretty sure it's that fan. But I will check it when I can.
Your motherboard has two fan headers. How many totals case fans does your system have and how do they attach to the motherboard header? Are you using a fan controller?

Also, is your rear fan a 4-pin PWM type fan or a 3-pin "regular" case fan?

Jan 11, 2024
Your motherboard has two fan headers. How many totals case fans does your system have and how do they attach to the motherboard header? Are you using a fan controller?

Also, is your rear fan a 4-pin PWM type fan or a 3-pin "regular" case fan?
My rear fan is a 3-pin regular case fan. The case only has that one fan. I'm not using a fan controller. It's always been attached to the motherboard where it says case fan.

Jan 11, 2024
Check the BIOS to make sure your fan curve is not at 100%. It should be set to ramp with the temperature of the CPU. Also make sure all the fans are plugged into the correct motherboard headers.
I will try to check the BIOS, I tried before and couldn't find the fan settings. It's always been plugged into the same header on my motherboard where it says case fan and this problem just suddenly happened.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood. If you had used a PWM fan, the motherboard would modulate the speed based on system temperatures. 3-pin fans generally run at one speed.

A fan controller would allow you to attach multiple fans (like a front panel fan) to improve airflow in your case (assuming mounting points exist for front panel fan(s)).

Your case supports multiple fans. I recommend adding a front fan and changing the rear fan:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640538/be-quiet-shadow-wings-2-rifle-bearing-120mm-case-fan

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640544/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-rifle-bearing-92mm-case-fan

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627665/silverstone-1-to-2-pwm-fan-splitter

Splitter connects to header you are using now and then to both fans. Airflow (and hopefully noise) should improve. This should also lower system temperatures.

Are you using the stock Intel CPU cooler?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024
Understood. If you had used a PWM fan, the motherboard would modulate the speed based on system temperatures. 3-pin fans generally run at one speed.

A fan controller would allow you to attach multiple fans (like a front panel fan) to improve airflow in your case (assuming mounting points exist for front panel fan(s)).

Your case supports multiple fans. I recommend adding a front fan and changing the rear fan:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640538/be-quiet-shadow-wings-2-rifle-bearing-120mm-case-fan

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640544/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-rifle-bearing-92mm-case-fan

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627665/silverstone-1-to-2-pwm-fan-splitter

Splitter connects to header you are using now and then to both fans. Airflow (and hopefully noise) should improve. This should also lower system temperatures.

Are you using the stock Intel CPU cooler?
I just changed the rear fan a week ago. I don't plan on keeping this pc for long so I really don't want to have to get new parts. If you mean the cooler that came with the Intel CPU, then yes. I probably also need to change the thermal paste on it since I haven't the entire 7yrs I've had this pc. The CPU usage will go up and down from like 19% to 100% when I boot my PC, esp when the fans are loud. BTW I did try to stop the case fan but I don't know how to do that, it was going way too fast for me to be able to stop it.

Jan 11, 2024
Take your finger and press on the middle of the fan. You'll be fine as long as you don't poke the blades.
Omg so I did that just now when the noise was happening...it didn't stop the noise. I really thought it was that fan. Now I think it's the power supply making the noise. My GPU fans weren't going at all and I think the CPU was quiet. I also would like to note that sometimes my PC will just restart itself when playing certain games. Should I just replace my PSU? I dusted it out a little over a month ago.
I screenshotted my fan speed when it was being loud.