[SOLVED] PC crashed and now m.2 drive is not booting

Oct 18, 2020
Hi. I was playing red dead redemption 2 on my recently built pc and suddenly my pc crashed with blue screen. I turned everything off and noticed that all the components were very very hot. Then i let it cool for a while and turned it back on. Now the problem I'm facing is my m.2 drive is showing in bios but when i try to boot from it it says 'reboot and select proper boot device' so my guess was that maybe Windows got corrupted. But when i tried to install Windows the m.2 drive is not showing in Windows setup at all. In fact there are no drive visible in window setup option. Now one more thing i want to mention is that my m.2 has rgb lights on the heatsink and those rgb lights are working fine. M.2 shows in Bios but not in Windows setup.
And I've also installed windows in different ssd drive but again m.2 drive is not visible in disk management aswell.
I'm really confused is my m.2 gone bad or there is a way to fix it? I've tried every possible solution that i could find on google from changing bios settings or repairing windows through setup. None of them worked for me

My setup :
Cpu : ryzen 2600
Gpu: rx5700xt
Mobo: Gigabyte b450 pro wifi
M.2: XPG spectrix 240g RGB 250gb

Solution
You said
m.2 is my OS drive and
i'm using different SSD as an OS drive

Try just the M.2 without the SSD connected.

If it shows in bios as the first boot drive then it doesn't have an operating system on it - theoretically.

Can you check it in another PC to verify that it has an OS on it?

Can you re-install Windows on it?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I gather your M.2 is your OS drive.
In bios, have you selected your M.2 drive as the first boot priority? Make sure you have only 1 OS drive.

Crashes can reset bios - where you lose at elast some of your settings.

Oct 18, 2020
Yes i have. and yes m.2 is my OS drive. I unplugged every other drive and made M.2 my 1st boot priority drive and then it says 'reboot and select proper boot device'. Now i'm using different SSD as an OS drive and M.2 drive is still plugged in but it doesn't show up in drive management or My Computer. It shows only in Bios. I've tried every Bios settings i could find on internet

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You said
m.2 is my OS drive and
i'm using different SSD as an OS drive

Try just the M.2 without the SSD connected.

If it shows in bios as the first boot drive then it doesn't have an operating system on it - theoretically.

Can you check it in another PC to verify that it has an OS on it?

Can you re-install Windows on it?

Solution