Question Pc Crashed while partitioning and wont boot with that hdd

Sep 17, 2019
I just got an ssd. I was gonna use all the free pace on my previous drive as extra space. However, it crashed while i was partitioning it. Now, not only will it not boot, but i cant boot of any other device while the hdd is plugged in.Preferably I would like to at least recover the data from it as it had a project I was working on. Any Ideas?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I just got an ssd. I was gonna use all the free pace on my previous drive as extra space. However, it crashed while i was partitioning it. Now, not only will it not boot, but i cant boot of any other device while the hdd is plugged in.Preferably I would like to at least recover the data from it as it had a project I was working on. Any Ideas?

In your Bios, only have your primary SSD/HDD (With Windows on it) set to boot from so post does not check the new SSD and try to read/boot from it. Once at your desktop, can you see the other SSD?

If so, but can't access it, does this help?

Here is an older post from these forums.

Let us know how it goes.

Sep 17, 2019
In your Bios, only have your primary SSD/HDD (With Windows on it) set to boot from so post does not check the new SSD and try to read/boot from it. Once at your desktop, can you see the other SSD?

If so, but can't access it, does this help?

Here is an older post from these forums.

Let us know how it goes.
It's already set to boot from the ssd only (forgot to mention that the corrupted drive was an hdd)

Sep 17, 2019
The system boots OK without this drive?
If so, obtain a USB-SATA dock.

Power up, and only power on this problematic drive after the system is up and running.

And need I say it?
Where is the full drive backup of this?
1: yep it does
2: I don't have a backup drive cause I'm an idiot So I completely understand if it's not salvageable

Sep 17, 2019
The system boots OK without this drive?
If so, obtain a USB-SATA dock.

Power up, and only power on this problematic drive after the system is up and running.

And need I say it?
Where is the full drive backup of this?
when plugged in while booted, we get the system reserved, and local disk(f:) it shows no capacity bar and when clicked on it says F:\ is not accessible, the parameter is incorrect

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
It gets to the screen with the logo and spinny thing and just stays there forever when booting from the ssd.
when booting from the hdd it goes past bios to a black screen

So it won't boot from either & so can't even make it to the desktop? Damn.. Is the HDD an old Hotswap drive? Can you plug it into a different PC that is already at the desktop?

Hmm.. i wonder if you reinstalled Windows onto the SSD but on a custom partition so that Windows would at least boot to the desktop. Then attempt to recover the data on the other "bad" partition?

Sep 17, 2019
So it won't boot from either & so can't even make it to the desktop? Damn.. Is the HDD an old Hotswap drive? Can you plug it into a different PC that is already at the desktop?

Hmm.. i wonder if you reinstalled Windows onto the SSD but on a custom partition so that Windows would at least boot to the desktop. Then attempt to recover the data on the other "bad" partition?
It boots from the ssd fine, I just have to unplug the hdd first, but when i booted it up now and attached it afterwards its saying it needs to be formatted but its at least detecting it... thinking I'll have to cut my losses and format it. Gonna wait a bit for some more ideas to come in.

Sep 17, 2019
If TestDisk does not work, try Recuva

Let us know how it goes. I hope you don't lose your Game! Can you share what it's about? :)
All checkdisk comes up with is the main partition at 999gb ( the space of the whole drive), So I'll try recuva

And of course :), its not really about anything, It's kinda just an arcade game strongly inspired by the OG battlefront 2. For as long as I can remember I used to make my little sister DIY board games out of poster board for christmas, a couple years ago that graduated to video games I made for us to play together, mostly based on the rules of a game I used to play with her when she was young

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
All checkdisk comes up with is the main partition at 999gb ( the space of the whole drive), So I'll try recuva

And of course :), its not really about anything, It's kinda just an arcade game strongly inspired by the OG battlefront 2. For as long as I can remember I used to make my little sister DIY board games out of poster board for christmas, a couple years ago that graduated to video games I made for us to play together, mostly based on the rules of a game I used to play with her when she was young

Respect for spending time with your little sister. I truly hope you are able to save the game. Let us know how Recuva works. I also think @rgd1101 meant TestDisk, not check disk. :) (It's #2 on the link I posted above, right below Recuva.

Sep 17, 2019
For the cost of 2 delivery pizzas, this whole thread (and many like it) wouldn't exist.
Haha yep.
Respect for spending time with your little sister. I truly hope you are able to save the game. Let us know how Recuva works. I also think @rgd1101 meant TestDisk, not check disk. :) (It's #2 on the link I posted above, right below Recuva.
Thanks man lol. And it looks like Recuva might be working! It says it's finding files but its going to take 17 hours to find out how well it worked but still it's looking hopeful, thank you so much!