Question Pc crashes and crash dump MEMORY.DMP is corrupted.

grejon

Commendable
Jan 21, 2021
My PC crashes every couple of days but I am unable to locate the problem because the MEMORY.DMP crash dump file is corrupted. I have tried reading the file with several programs like: WhoCrashed, Windbg, Bluescreenview. None of these programs are able to read the file, they all say the file is corrupted. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

My PC crashes every couple of days but I am unable to locate the problem because the MEMORY.DMP crash dump file is corrupted. I have tried reading the file with several programs like: WhoCrashed, Windbg, Bluescreenview. None of these programs are able to read the file, they all say the file is corrupted. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

• update the cpu chipset drivers
  • remove any overclock
  • check the drive health by running crystaldiskinfo.exe
  • see if there is a firmware update for the drive
  • make sure the pagefile.sys is large enough and there is free space on the drive.
you might want to google how to force a memory dump using a keyboard. make the registry settings then force a memory dump while the system is working and see if the memory dump is ok and readable.

if you expect that the drive is corrupting the image, and the firmware is ok, and the chipset and bios is updated then
try and turn off lazy writes to the drive. (Write-Behind Caching )
Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
if the drive is a usb drive, be sure to also update the bios

note: certain bugchecks are panic bugchecks and windows may not write a large file like a kernel dump
(memory.dmp file) in this case you might find that a minidump file can be created before the system shuts down. mostly bugcheck 0x124 where the motherboard trips a protection circuit or a power supply detects a bad power condition and triggers the shutdown. the write behind cache could make the problem worse. IE only part of the file gets committed to the disk and the rest is still in the cache RAM of the drive when the system is power cycled. disable the write behind cache will force the drive not to lie to windows that the file has been committed to disk.

Last edited: