[SOLVED] PC Crashes on (recent) Games, Works Fine on Most Benchmarks/Stress Tests.

TacticaL_BacoN

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
So right now my PC crashes on SELECT resource-heavy tasks, and what happens on crash is that my screen displays "NO SIGNAL" (not even BSOD), but I can still hear everything that's going on, LEDs and fans are still running. After which I have no choice but to force a shutdown on my system. This is while MSI afterburner limits my GPU to NOT run above 80°C.

It WILL crash when:
  • I play more "recent" games such as: Modern Warfare (2019) (after a few seconds); Tekken, even League of Legends (after a few minutes)
  • I run 3DMark Time Spy (crashes after a few seconds after the test begins)
It WON'T crash when:
  • I run Prime 95 (100% cpu load)
  • I run Furmark (100% gpu load)
  • I do a COMPLETE 3DMark FireStrike benchmark AND FireStrike stress Test
  • I play older games (COD4, MW3, clone hero) (max settings, reaches the 144fps cap)
Things I have tried:
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated SSD (OS Drive) firmware
  • Clean GPU driver uninstall (with DDU)
  • MemTest86 (4 Passes, no issues)
  • re-seated RAM and GPU
  • scannow, DISM, and startup repair
  • S.M.A.R.T. says that all of my drives are in good condition (using CrystalDiskInfo)
  • Transferred and played the "faulty" games in another hard drive
  • This Video (Event viewer states: Event ID:41/BugCheck Code:307, probably due to how I always force-shutdown it though)
For the past few weeks this has been subtle, but it became more apparent now, and I can't find exact solutions online (but I've tried what's mentioned, I've been spending the whole day trying to fix this). My guess is that it could be due to faulty drivers/a bad windows update, and I have yet to Reset my OS. But I'm curious of your input on this, before anything else.

And above everything, thank you very much in advanced for trying to help me out here, it means a lot.

PC SPECS:
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor - Intel Core i5-4690K (STOCK CLOCKS)
Power Supply
- XFX ProSeries 850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular
RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB DDR3
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Graphics Card - Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II OC (STOCK CLOCKS)
Solid State Drive
- Crucial MX300 275GB
Hard Drives - 1TB Western Digital BLACK, 1TB Western Digital BLUE, 2TB Western Digital GREEN

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc_Hammer
Solution
UPDATE (AND SOLUTION):
So there are a few more things that I decided to test to check on this issue:

POWER SUPPLY
1.) I tried a different power supply. I checked around the forums, and a common suggestion (and solution) on similar issues to mine - was to try and test a different power supply than their own, and that was actually a working solution for many (then they just had to buy a new PSU unit). But to my dismay, I borrowed a different power supply from a friend (Seasonic M12II EVO 620w), tested it on my unit, ran 3DMark TimeSpy, and a few seconds into the test - my PC still Crashed. Same story goes when I started up Modern Warfare (2019). So even though I replaced the power supply, the problem still persists...

TacticaL_BacoN

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
UPDATE (AND SOLUTION):
So there are a few more things that I decided to test to check on this issue:

POWER SUPPLY
1.) I tried a different power supply. I checked around the forums, and a common suggestion (and solution) on similar issues to mine - was to try and test a different power supply than their own, and that was actually a working solution for many (then they just had to buy a new PSU unit). But to my dismay, I borrowed a different power supply from a friend (Seasonic M12II EVO 620w), tested it on my unit, ran 3DMark TimeSpy, and a few seconds into the test - my PC still Crashed. Same story goes when I started up Modern Warfare (2019). So even though I replaced the power supply, the problem still persists.

GRAPHICS CARD
2.) Good thing I had the idea to also borrow a working graphics card from the same friend of mine (Zotac GTX 970 Blower). This is because after the power supply test I decided to test that graphics card on my system, after that I ran TimeSpy again, and behold - the PC ran the whole test without hitching. I also tried Modern Warfare again, and I was able to consistently play a few matches. So with a different Graphics Card, my PC was able to function properly again both with a different power supply, and the power supply that I have.

tl;dr - I tried a different PSU, my problem still persisted. Tried a different GPU, my system ran flawlessly again. The problem that I had all along was my graphics card, and I didn't have to reset Windows 10 anymore.

Reactions: Arc_Hammer
Solution