[SOLVED] PC crashes when switching to dedicated GPU

Jun 28, 2020
Hi ! After a Windows Update last year, my PC freezes and crashes instantly when using my dedicated graphics card(GTX 760). If I use my Intel integrated graphics card, there is absolutely no issue and everything works fine, besides the lowered performance, of course. Even after reinstalling Windows and trying a plethora of graphics drivers, the same thing happens.

My build is as follows :
CPU: Intel i5-4590
GPU: Geforce GTX 760
Motherboard: Gigabyte h97m-d3h

To elaborate a bit more on the crashing process: the instant I use my graphics card, the display goes black for one second, then turns back on again. Afterwards, the PC accepts no input and the video output is frozen. The audio output loops for a short period, then stops, too. In the end, the screen goes black and I get the message "No video input detected" on the monitor. Afterwards, the only option is to shutdown the PC.

This has been very peculiar to me, as this started happening only after a Windows Update.

Have any of you got any clues regarding this? Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Solution
You could try installing windows 7.
If it does the same thing, then probably bad graphics card.

BTW - what PSU are you using? Could be also bad PSU is causing this.
Jun 28, 2020
You could try installing windows 7.
If it does the same thing, then probably bad graphics card.

BTW - what PSU are you using? Could be also bad PSU is causing this.

Yea, I will install Windows 7. Hopefully it works.

Also, I think my PSU is some generic PSU that came with the case, I honestly don't remember. That could be an issue, I'll try plugging in a different PSU and seeing if it works.

Still though, it bothered me that this happened straight after a Windows Update, but maybe that was some freaky coincidence or the straw that broke the camel's back, who knows?

Will return after I try out the Windows 7 install and the PSU change( if need be)

Jun 28, 2020
Before closing the PC in order to install Windows 7, Windows 10 updated itself. Everything seems to work fine now, and graphically intensive applications work fine as well, no crashing or loss of performance noticed. I guess everything's solved then. I'll mark this question as solved if I can find the button.

Edit: found out how to mark it as solved