PC crashes while NOT playing video games

Jan 7, 2019
It's very odd. I could be working on a document in my Google drive, or just reading through a PDF, or watching a YouTube video in Chrome, and my PC will hang at random, usually not long after I boot up the PC. However, if I am playing a video game of any kind: World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, etc., it will NOT freeze....until I close the game, and less than 5 minutes later, I have to hard reset the PC because it's frozen.

I have run a test of the system files using the Windows System Update Readiness Tool (which is Hotfix KB947821), in DOS I have tried the 'sfc /scannow' and found no issues, I have tried moving my GPU to another slot and downloading the latest drivers. There are no new drivers for my Mobo or CPU. Here are my system specs:

-Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
-Intel i7 3.20GHz
-12GB DDR3 Dual Channel RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 [4GB RAM]
-64bit Windows 7
-2 480GB SSD hard drives (one has Windows on it and isn't even half full, the other has my video games on it and is about 90% full)

Lutfij

Titan
How do you have 12GB's of ram on your system? I mean how are they loaded out on your ram slots. Mind also sharing a link to the rams used? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

BringerOfTea

Reputable

3*4gb sticks... system probably came with 1 single 4gb stick and TS thought It wise to mix and mash these together.

and a kit of 2*4gb was bought later as an "upgrade!"

Jan 7, 2019
The three sticks of RAM came with the MOBO from a friend of mine when my MOBO took a crap. :( so these are second hand. I don't know the make and model of the RAM but I have run Memory Tests and everything was fine.

My PSU is "Enthusiast Series TX750 CMPSU-750TX"

Yes I am using the latest BIOS update for my MOBO.

Jan 7, 2019
CPU-Z doesn't tell me what kind of RAM it is and unseating it is very annoying based on placement. That being said, it's in slots 3/4/5 out of 6 slots because when I was testing other slots, I remember that this was the only way the RAM sticks worked.

Jan 7, 2019
I just want to be clear:

The computer ONLY FREEZES if there is NO VIDEO GAME RUNNING. It NEVER freezes if a game is up, and only started acting up like this in the last few days (I did not do anything in those last few days to warrant this).

I have been on my PC for hours, even left it on overnight, and as long as a video game screen is up, it won't hang.

Jan 7, 2019
It's still doing it. Played video games all day, exited a game, forgot about this issue because it didn't do it all day (since I had a video game up all day) and then, five minutes after I closed Overwatch, hard freeze.