Question PC Crashing/Freezing seemingly only during multiplayer games

Dec 10, 2023
SPECS:
RTX 3070
Intel i7-9700K
32GB DDR4 3600mhz
MSI z390-a pro
Windows 11

issue: PC Freezes completely, nothing affects it. I tried BIOS mode called OC genie or something which caused the PC to reboot instead of freeze.

I've been playing The Forest and Ghost Exile multiplayer with my friend and have been experiencing crashes, seemingly when things get intense but not every time a lot of things happen in-game.
Did not happen when I tried playing a few single-player games.

I do not know what causes it. A week before this I had to reset my cmos in because of another issue, it did not immediately start though.
The Event Viewer shows only unexpected shutdown and other irrelevant events to the crash itself.
I have:
updated drivers
enabled and disabled xmp
check BIOS settings for TPM, secure boot

I have not had an issue for two years so I'm wondering why it would pop up now, though most related issues seems to be regarding the PSU or overheating, but I do not know how to confirm these faults, can anyone help me? I'll update with PSU in a minute.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Overall, increasing numbers of varying errors (via Event Viewer or Reliability History/Monitor) are an indication of a faltering/failing PSU.

If you are not familar with Reliability History/Monitor then take a look. Much more end user friendly and it can reveal patterns via the timeline format.

Note: Do be sure that all important data is being backed up - just in case....

Reactions: LibbiBibbi
What is your cpu cooler?
Multiplayer with many participants is about the only type that can fully load all cores.
Start HWmonitor.
Look to see if you get 100c. in red on any core.
If so, you throttled. Usually the processor simply slows down.

Reactions: LibbiBibbi
Dec 10, 2023
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Overall, increasing numbers of varying errors (via Event Viewer or Reliability History/Monitor) are an indication of a faltering/failing PSU.

If you are not familar with Reliability History/Monitor then take a look. Much more end user friendly and it can reveal patterns via the timeline format.

Note: Do be sure that all important data is being backed up - just in case....
PSU:
Corsair CX650M 650W - I cannot remember when it was bought, but seeing sites in my country with the list-date 2013. I've probably ran two-three builds on this one so it might be time, I'm pretty sure my dad bought this one for me so I can't confirm the date of purchase but I'd say it's nearing 10 years at least and that is the general lifetime of a PSU right?
I've been gaming pretty heavily on and off so it's seen some use.

Disk drives:
(M2 boot drive) PNY CS3030 1TB SSD
1x 2.5mm SanDisk Ultra II 240GB and 2x 3.5mm Sata drives.
I try to keep them all around 80% max usually, been freeing up space and gaming from my m2 recently.

Thanks for the reminder about Reliability History, I always forget about that one but it would've been easier! -also backing up :)

I'm getting a feeling it would be the PSU at this point.
Froze again today and cpu ram gpu etc. all seemed to be at around 30-60% usage

Dec 10, 2023
What is your cpu cooler?
Multiplayer with many participants is about the only type that can fully load all cores.
Start HWmonitor.
Look to see if you get 100c. in red on any core.
If so, you throttled. Usually the processor simply slows down.
I did a memtest now and checked under full load, CPU kept steady under 80C and I've even at most played with 1 other player. It did seem to take longer to crash/freeze though when my friend hosted the game. So I don't think it would be overheating tbh, thanks!