[SOLVED] PC crashing while gaming

Jan 4, 2020
This has been happening alot the past few days and has been annoying as i've been getting disconnected from competitive matches in games because of this, it has never happened before, it only has happened while playing overwatch and rainbow six siege, both were in fullscreen running low settings, getting 240 in overwatch and around 140 in siege, my cpu was averaging 62 degrees celcius (it has been 30+ degrees Celsius the past 3 days here) it usually happens after around 30 mins, and will keep happening every 50 mins or so after the first time it happens, when it happens my screen goes black, and i still hear all game sound and my mates in discord, if i try turn my monitor back on it says no signal, after about 20 seconds the game will autoshut down and so will the rest of the applications. on overwatch i heard a repeated buzzing noise after 20 seconds one time. my pc lights stay on and i have to hold down the shutdown button on my case, a few times when ive turned back on i get the error that the pc has shutdown incorrectly or something giving me options, each time i just selected restart pc and it works fine again for a while till it happens again. In event viewer im not getting any specific errors, but im getting an error at the time of shutdown
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." the source says kernel power, this happens each time. i also get the unexpected shutdown error too. I am getting another error at the time of restarting my pc after crash which says
"Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: dwm.exe
P2: 10.0.18362.387
P3: 8e064b77
P4: StackHash_7f4f
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: e0464645
P8: PCH_49_FROM_KERNELBASE+0x00000000000FF10F
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER539E.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_dwm.exe_21f4efb39766a1d4a5b4345b263835efc367e60_25529819_62c28ada-7c4a-4801-b9f8-4b2a049a8a7a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 01bcbdbf-178e-4686-900d-e85ceb3dcff7
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 8472bb8709b37f44fa4e1f59830e8238
Cab Guid: 0"

My specs are:
Asus GTX 1060 3GB
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard
16gb trident z gskill 007 ram
cooler master v550 psu
thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case

Last edited:
Solution
Its drives i had from a past PC
XkbdiTn.png

D drive is filled to 1.5 TB and is made up of many games and most of the stuff i download, the rest of the drives i dont use much and my parents store alot of old videos from my childhood and theirs too because their PC only has about 600gb of storage, and i don't need that much room so it doesn't bother me. If i reinstall windows do i lose my hard drive data? (my general computer knowledge isn't very extensive) I am on windows version 1903.

JUST to be on the safe side and to prevent any issues, I'd strongly advise you to do a good virus scan 1st on all drives and then after your PC is off, to disconnect all drives except for the primary and after Windows is...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @TripleJTH

What are your GPU temps? 62c on your 1600 is well within normal so no issues there. When was the last time you reinstalled Windows and of course all drivers are up to date? Running the 1600 at stock or OC? Do you have an SSD or HDD?

Do you have Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner installed? (Both work with all nVidia & AMD cards)

When was the last time you updated your version of .Net?

Does your case, specifically your PSU have adequate airflow/cooling?

Try downloading an earlier version of the drivers for your 1060. I was reading on another forum of a similar issue as yours, namely this P4: StackHash_7f4f causing an issue due to a newer version of the nVidia drivers.

Keep us updated.

Reactions: TripleJTH
Jan 4, 2020
Hi @TripleJTH

What are your GPU temps? 62c on your 1600 is well within normal so no issues there. When was the last time you reinstalled Windows and of course all drivers are up to date? Running the 1600 at stock or OC? Do you have an SSD or HDD?

Do you have Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner installed? (Both work with all nVidia & AMD cards)

When was the last time you updated your version of .Net?

Does your case, specifically your PSU have adequate airflow/cooling?

Try downloading an earlier version of the drivers for your 1060. I was reading on another forum of a similar issue as yours, namely this P4: StackHash_7f4f causing an issue due to a newer version of the nVidia drivers.

Keep us updated.
While browsing the net my gpu is hitting 5 degrees Celsius (only chrome, Logitech ghub discord and steam open) , i reinstalled windows 2 years ago, and just updated my drivers, and ive never had issues so, what im saying is basically i haven't updated my drivers knowingly in the past 2 years lol, when you say drivers do you mean GPU drivers? i just updated them but haven't knowingly updates drivers for any other components, i have 3 hdds and 2 ssds, i have afterburner installed to monitor temps, haven't overclocked anything. Just updated .net. I would say it has adequate cooling but im not really to sure what "adequate cooling" would be as my Hardware knowledge is not very extensive, my case is the thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case. Im gonna keep my drivers for the moment and go update most of the other drivers as i was playing on old drivers. I will keep you updated if i get anymore errors tonight.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
While browsing the net my gpu is hitting 5 degrees Celsius (only chrome, Logitech ghub discord and steam open) , i reinstalled windows 2 years ago, and just updated my drivers, and ive never had issues so, what im saying is basically i haven't updated my drivers knowingly in the past 2 years lol, when you say drivers do you mean GPU drivers? i just updated them but haven't knowingly updates drivers for any other components, i have 3 hdds and 2 ssds, i have afterburner installed to monitor temps, haven't overclocked anything. Just updated .net. I would say it has adequate cooling but im not really to sure what "adequate cooling" would be as my Hardware knowledge is not very extensive, my case is the thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case. Im gonna keep my drivers for the moment and go update most of the other drivers as i was playing on old drivers. I will keep you updated if i get anymore errors tonight.

My own personal opinion is that it's time to reinstall Windows. Having really old drivers isn't a good idea either. Why do you need 3 HDD's and 2 SSD's? Are you a content creator? Are the drives full? What I'm getting at is are they just storage or are they constantly used? When programs/games are installed and then uninstalled, over time there will be redundant registry entries that can/will cause issues. What version of Windows do you currently have? If Win10, then ver.1903+?

Reactions: TripleJTH
Jan 4, 2020
My own personal opinion is that it's time to reinstall Windows. Having really old drivers isn't a good idea either. Why do you need 3 HDD's and 2 SSD's? Are you a content creator? Are the drives full? What I'm getting at is are they just storage or are they constantly used? When programs/games are installed and then uninstalled, over time there will be redundant registry entries that can/will cause issues. What version of Windows do you currently have? If Win10, then ver.1903+?
XkbdiTn.png

D drive is filled to 1.5 TB and is made up of many games and most of the stuff i download, the rest of the drives i dont use much and my parents store alot of old videos from my childhood and theirs too because their PC only has about 600gb of storage, and i don't need that much room so it doesn't bother me. If i reinstall windows do i lose my hard drive data? (my general computer knowledge isn't very extensive) I am on windows version 1903.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
XkbdiTn.png

JUST to be on the safe side and to prevent any issues, I'd strongly advise you to do a good virus scan 1st on all drives and then after your PC is off, to disconnect all drives except for the primary and after Windows is reinstalled and everything updated, then you can reconnect the drives or if they aren't being used, then no point in having them connected. (Powering up & turning off, powering up &.....)

The only data you'll lose then is the data on your primary HDD/SSD when you reinstall and that's easy enough to mitigate by simply backing up the documents you want to save. (.docs, pictures, saved game files. etc) Unless it's an image (.iso or .cue for example) file, you'll not be able to save any installed games, so be sure to backup those saved game files lol...

While there IS an option to keep all data during the Installation, I highly advise you to do the clean install option which basically wipes the drive (deletes all data) before a fresh installation is installed. The reason I say not to choose the save all data option, is because any spam/spyware/malware can potentially still be intermixed with your current data. Think of it this way, you have mold growing on your bathroom wall due to constant moisture. Do you clean off the mold before repainting (Fresh install) or paint over the mold? (Save data install) Hint: The mold is still there and painting over it did diddly-squat. :)

Solution
Jan 4, 2020
JUST to be on the safe side and to prevent any issues, I'd strongly advise you to do a good virus scan 1st on all drives and then after your PC is off, to disconnect all drives except for the primary and after Windows is reinstalled and everything updated, then you can reconnect the drives or if they aren't being used, then no point in having them connected. (Powering up & turning off, powering up &.....)

The only data you'll lose then is the data on your primary HDD/SSD when you reinstall and that's easy enough to mitigate by simply backing up the documents you want to save. (.docs, pictures, saved game files. etc) Unless it's an image (.iso or .cue for example) file, you'll not be able to save any installed games, so be sure to backup those saved game files lol...

While there IS an option to keep all data during the Installation, I highly advise you to do the clean install option which basically wipes the drive (deletes all data) before a fresh installation is installed. The reason I say not to choose the save all data option, is because any spam/spyware/malware can potentially still be intermixed with your current data. Think of it this way, you have mold growing on your bathroom wall due to constant moisture. Do you clean off the mold before repainting (Fresh install) or paint over the mold? (Save data install) Hint: The mold is still there and painting over it did diddly-squat. :)
I’m not to sure I’ll even need to reinstall windows, I haven’t had a single issue in the last 4 hours since installing new drivers, all it took was for you to ask if my drivers were up to date, don’t know why I didn’t update them earlier. The driver I had installed easy a year and a half old

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I’m not to sure I’ll even need to reinstall windows, I haven’t had a single issue in the last 4 hours since installing new drivers, all it took was for you to ask if my drivers were up to date, don’t know why I didn’t update them earlier. The driver I had installed easy a year and a half old

Well then SWEET! Glad to hear (knock on wood and throwin salt over left..or is it right shoulder?? lol) your system is running stable. Play a game or two to tax the system. If no crashes, then you fixed the issue!

Give us an after report.

Jan 4, 2020
Well then SWEET! Glad to hear (knock on wood and throwin salt over left..or is it right shoulder?? lol) your system is running stable. Play a game or two to tax the system. If no crashes, then you fixed the issue!

Give us an after report.
It's fine i haven't had a single issue, although today i cleaned out my pc after 2 years (lots of dust) and took my gpu out to properly clean the fans which were literally clogged with dust, and after that i've noticed something, ive got 16GB of ram, and my mobo has 4 ram slots i believe, (cousin built my pc 3 years ago n selected all the parts) so im not too sure, but in widows properties, it says 16GB of ram, but it says "7.5GB usable" I first noticed this while loading into a server on the game rust, its minimum required is 10gb ram and it told me i had less than 10gb while on the loading screen, and sure enough my system properties read 7.5GB, this can be seen in both images below, and i need 16gb badly to run some games

Asus GTX 1060 3GB
Ryzen 5 1600 OC @3.6 ghz
Gigabyte-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard
16gb trident z gskill 007 ram
cooler master v550 psu
thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case

iCPfBQ7.png
5GcZNTy.png

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @ tripleJTH

Edit: - I looked twice at your attachment and damn if I didn't just now see it. Your Bios is F31.

Whats your motherboards Bios ver.? This is a known issue with the B350 boards. (Well to be perfectly honest this could effect any given motherboard) Download a small program called CPU-Z. It'll tell you what version your Bios is. The current version is F50a, but F31 needs to be installed before F40 which is required for F50a. However, if done incorrectly, flashing your Bios could brick it, so this is a step you may want to bring in to a repair shop to have done if you don't know what you're doing. My Taichi x470 only showed 8GB of the 16Gb I had installed during the initial build. Flashing the Bios fixed the issue. The same exact issue for my neighbors PC I built for him on his Hero VII motherboard. A quick google will show others with your mobo are having the same issue. Please note I am not saying this is the 100% cause & fix. Just a step to consider.

Make sure the RAM is in slot 2 & 4 (Left to Right and if you have 2 sticks of RAM)

Test 1 stick at a time. If 1 stick is bad, only 8GB will show as usable even if 16 is detected. Also if different brands/speeds of RAM are installed, they may not want to play nice together in which case 16 will show but only the 8 is usable. In your Bios is the RAM set to default speed? Is there an XMP profile you can set?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
Hi @ tripleJTH

Edit: - I looked twice at your attachment and damn if I didn't just now see it. Your Bios is F31.

Whats your motherboards Bios ver.? This is a known issue with the B350 boards. (Well to be perfectly honest this could effect any given motherboard) Download a small program called CPU-Z. It'll tell you what version your Bios is. The current version is F50a, but F31 needs to be installed before F40 which is required for F50a. However, if done incorrectly, flashing your Bios could brick it, so this is a step you may want to bring in to a repair shop to have done if you don't know what you're doing. My Taichi x470 only showed 8GB of the 16Gb I had installed during the initial build. Flashing the Bios fixed the issue. The same exact issue for my neighbors PC I built for him on his Hero VII motherboard. A quick google will show others with your mobo are having the same issue. Please note I am not saying this is the 100% cause & fix. Just a step to consider.

Make sure the RAM is in slot 2 & 4 (Left to Right and if you have 2 sticks of RAM)

Test 1 stick at a time. If 1 stick is bad, only 8GB will show as usable even if 16 is detected. Also if different brands/speeds of RAM are installed, they may not want to play nice together in which case 16 will show but only the 8 is usable. In your Bios is the RAM set to default speed? Is there an XMP profile you can set?
Alright, ill try what you said but i also read that for the ab350 you should use slots 1 and 2? or should i just use 2 and 4

Jan 4, 2020
Hi @ tripleJTH

im still a bit confused as to what i should do here/ how to fix it

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Here is your motherboards manual. Look on page 4.

Looking at your RAM slots on your motherboard, you'll notice that they are to the right of where your CPU goes and that there are 4 slots. The slot closest to the CPU is Slot #4, the one next to it is slot #2, the one next to it is slot #3 and the slot farthest to the right is slot #1

When you install your RAM, you'll want to install one stick in slot #2 and the other stick in slot #1. If you don't install the RAM in the correct slots, you "could" have issues with your PC turning on or not showing the correct amount of RAM installed or poor performance. I just posted the above to make sure you had the RAM in the correct slots.

I had initially said to install the RAM in slots 2 & 4 as a mistake as I was thinking of my motherboard where it showed the RAM slots listed as 1,2,3,4.

Sorry if I made it confusing. :)

Jan 4, 2020

Looking at your RAM slots on your motherboard, you'll notice that they are to the right of where your CPU goes and that there are 4 slots. The slot closest to the CPU is Slot #4, the one next to it is slot #2, the one next to it is slot #3 and the slot farthest to the right is slot #1

When you install your RAM, you'll want to install one stick in slot #2 and the other stick in slot #1. If you don't install the RAM in the correct slots, you "could" have issues with your PC turning on or not showing the correct amount of RAM installed or poor performance. I just posted the above to make sure you had the RAM in the correct slots.

I had initially said to install the RAM in slots 2 & 4 as a mistake as I was thinking of my motherboard where it showed the RAM slots listed as 1,2,3,4.

So im just installing one stick? am i doing something with my bios like you mentioned, didn't i need different bios first or something, what if my ram are in the right slots already lol i can't even see the other 2 ram slots so im kinda confused as to what im doing here, wasn't the ram already installed? im still kinda confused why only 8gb is working all of a sudden.
im really sorry if im making this confusing and frustrating for you but im very confused

Jan 4, 2020

My ram are installed in the correct slots i believe, i've never had an issue with it. Is the issue my bios or? when i look at the image in the manual my motherboard looks a bit different, I may just be completely blind, but i only see 2 ram slots? I will link a few photos below
nKLpUTv.jpg
WbbdrGj.jpg

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My ram are installed in the correct slots i believe, i've never had an issue with it. Is the issue my bios or? when i look at the image in the manual my motherboard looks a bit different, I may just be completely blind, but i only see 2 ram slots? I will link a few photos below
nKLpUTv.jpg
WbbdrGj.jpg

Thanks for the clear pics. You have 4 slots. Your RAM is in the slots with the RED clips while the other 2 open slots have the BLACK clips at the ends. As per your mobo's manual the RAM is in the correct slots as well for Dual Channel which is good.

Take the Ram out and test 1 stick at a time, making sure it's seated correctly. Possibly 1 stick is bad &/or possibly a slot is bad. Try taking out the stick on the right and then booting your PC. Now swap and try again. Try installing the RAM in the slots with the Black clips at the end. Basically move both sticks one slot over. What happens?

Jan 4, 2020
Thanks for the clear pics. You have 4 slots. Your RAM is in the slots with the RED clips while the other 2 open slots have the BLACK clips at the ends. As per your mobo's manual the RAM is in the correct slots as well for Dual Channel which is good.

Take the Ram out and test 1 stick at a time, making sure it's seated correctly. Possibly 1 stick is bad &/or possibly a slot is bad. Try taking out the stick on the right and then booting your PC. Now swap and try again. Try installing the RAM in the slots with the Black clips at the end. Basically move both sticks one slot over. What happens?
I'll try that now, i took both of them out and put them back a few hours ago just incase one was loose or something like that but nothing happened. When you say the black ones you mean 1 and 3 (from looking left to right not from what they are labeled)

Sandywich999

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Just because I've had a very similar ordeal, I'll just give you suggestions from my perspective.

Open the side panel when you game, keeping a tab on GPU temp on MSI Afterburner or smth. Touch your memory modules and see if they're hot. Furthermore, limit power in afterburner and see if it still crahes.

These were basically problems I've had to painstakingly troubleshoot in my GPU. Check them anyway just to be sure

Jan 4, 2020
Just because I've had a very similar ordeal, I'll just give you suggestions from my perspective.

Open the side panel when you game, keeping a tab on GPU temp on MSI Afterburner or smth. Touch your memory modules and see if they're hot. Furthermore, limit power in afterburner and see if it still crahes.

These were basically problems I've had to painstakingly troubleshoot in my GPU. Check them anyway just to be sure
Fixed that problem a few days ago, just had a few questions about my ram to mrgr74 but thanks anyway

Jan 4, 2020

Just tried installing them in the black slots, still nothing, took one stick out, didnt boot, then put other in and that one out, worked, then put the supposedly bad one back in, and all of a sudden its working lol