Question PC Died overnight please help

Jun 24, 2023
Hello so I'm having some problems with my PC (Specs Below) and I could use some help, I built it about 2 years ago with all new parts, Everything was working fine until the PC was shutdown the other day. I tried to power the PC on the next day and there was no response from the PC except for a couple fans turning on for a few seconds and my watercooler lighting up, The PC then shuts off instantly and does not show any error codes on the mobo, There was no beeps but 2 lights do light up momentarily on the mobo, A red light labeled CPU and a orange light labeled B_Bios (Im not sure how to attach a picture). Everything was working fine prior to the shutdown, CPU was not overclocked and the PC was never used for gaming and the temps we're always low and stable.

CPU= i9-9900k
Mobo= Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU= Internal only
PSU= Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600w
RAM= 2×16gb
HDD= 4TB
SSD= 1TB, 32gb Intel Optane
CPU Cooler= ROG Ryujin 240

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello so I'm having some problems with my P (Specs Below) and I could use some help, I built it about 2 years ago with all new parts, Everything was working fine until the PC was shutdown the other day. I tried to power the PC on the next day and there was no response from the PC except for a couple fans turning on for a few seconds and my watercooler lighting up, The PC then shuts off instantly and does not show any error codes on the mobo, There was no beeps but 2 lights do light up momentarily on the mobo, A red light labeled CPU and a orange light labeled B_Bios (Im not sure how to attach a picture). Everything was working fine prior to the shutdown, CPU was not overclocked and the PC was never used for gaming and the temps we're always low and stable.

CPU= i9-9900k
Mobo= Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU= Internal only
PSU= Unknown 650w I believe
RAM= 2×16gb
HDD= 4TB
SSD= 1TB, 32gb Intel Optane
CPU Cooler= ROG Ryujin 240

Let's get that power supply information. It's absolutely frightening that you have these parts, even without a GPU, without even knowing the PSU. That's like giving someone a transfusion without knowing their blood type.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
It's not just a question of the correct voltage. A standard digital multimeter only displays the average reading. If you don't perform additional checks with an oscilloscope, you won't be able to measure ripple which might be way out of spec on a faulty PSU.

In addition, for any measurements to be valid, you need to place a representative load on the 5V and especially the 12V rails. A bunch of 60W 12V car headlight bulbs in parallel would do on each rail.

Listen to what other people are saying. Buy a new PSU, preferably after checking with this list. Tier A are excellent but expensive. Tier B are good. Tier C PSUs are as low as I'd go for an important rig,

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Of course it might not be the PSU that's faulty, but at least you'll have replaced a very dubious PSU with something better.

Jun 24, 2023
Damn.. still no luck. It powers on for a second and the lcd screen on my cpu cooler turns on and shows the start up animation, As well as the fans and lights powering on. But then it powers off almost like someone unplugs it, but the cpu cooler lights stay on the entire time. It seems like it realizes theres not enough power, theres no output to the display and I cannot even reach the bios before it powers off.

Jun 24, 2023
What PSU did you try?
Sorry I forgot to say the only thing I haven't tried is a new PSU, Unfortunately I have no way to try a different PSU without buying one and I dont have the spare money at the moment unfortunately. I belive it is the PSU, It has been in the pc for probably 3 years. Would there have been any sings that it was going out? Because everything was normal the day it stopped working.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sorry I forgot to say the only thing I haven't tried is a new PSU, Unfortunately I have no way to try a different PSU without buying one and I dont have the spare money at the moment unfortunately. I belive it is the PSU, It has been in the pc for probably 3 years. Would there have been any sings that it was going out? Because everything was normal the day it stopped working.

Unfortunately, you may make the problem worse. You have an actually malfunctioning PC with a mystery problem and a poor quality PSU that can't be ruled out.

The signs of a PSU going out or damaging the hardware are similar to the signs that you've seen. Naturally, all things work up until the moment they stop working.

You keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. This path greatly increases the chance that not only will you have to replace the PSU, but some combination of motherboard, CPU, and RAM too. By continuing to do this, you may have also ruled out any chance that replacing just the PSU and still having problems would give you a near-definitive diagnosis. If the PSU was the cause of this particular problem, then you may have some new ones alongside it.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If you cannot afford to replace the PSU, beg, borrow or steal another PSU from someone, or take the computer to a PC repair shop. They won't charge as much as buying a new PSU.

I've just lent a spare PSU to a friend of mine who is in the same situation as you. His Phenom 955 is playing up and the PSU is an ancient very cheap unit which could be 10 years old.

Alternatively, find something else to do with your spare time that doesn't involve a computer.

Jun 24, 2023
I CURRENTLY do not have the funds and I definitely am not going to beg or steal a PSU. I will wait until I have the funds or Ill try to take it to the shop I bought all the parts from. I spent thousands of dollars there and I'm sure they will take a look for me. I'm definitely not giving up on computers.. I have had and have worked on computers for more then 2 decades.. I know that the PSU or HDD are usually the first pieces to fail in a PC. So I will get a PSU when I can and hopefully thats the issue.

Really? Its that bad? I was told that It would be fine as long as I wasn't running high end games or overclocking. I use to have a 1070 Super in it aswell and it ran fine, But I never used it for gaming and the same PSU has been in the PC since I built it about 2-3 years ago.

When people use the term it be fine aslong you dont run high end games is a big hint for me not to buy it. If you have a psu in mind and want to buy come to these forums first and get advice. evga or corsair PSU are good brands to get