Question PC display turns off, no other systems affected, display only comes back after a restart ?

Dereban

Reputable
Mar 10, 2021
Hey,

Been dealing with this for a while. The essence of the issue is that my display gets cut and will not come back without a restart of my system.

I built a PC a few years ago mainly for gaming, but as of recent I havent really been playing any games. I have 2 monitors, one of which is connected to the GPU via HDMI and the other is via HDMI. Every now and then, I'll boot up some random game, whether it be something like CSGO, Assetto Corsa, Celeste, I'll kind of play whatever. This issue has occurred whenever I boot any game that I play, no matter how intense the GPU requirements.

I'll play for a while, then at a seemingly random point both of my displays turn off and display something along the lines of "Display signal not found". When this happens, the sound is still playing and I am able to do things like alt+F4 out of the game or click around. All of this makes me think that this is a GPU issue, possibly voltage or something. I try to monitor most aspects of the system while I play, and I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary when it happens, including temps.

I think my next step might be to plug one display into the onboard integrated GPU and the other display into the 3070 and see if the effect is the same. I am posting this question in case anyone has had a similar problem. Specs are below:

- Asus z490 Prime
- Gigabyte RTX 3070
- 32GB Trident Z-Royal RAM
- i7-10700K
- Cooler Master V850 PSU

The problem began when I was on Windows 10 and has continued since switching to Windows 11.

I would appreciate any input that anyone may have,
Cheers

Edit: I spend quite a bit of time running virtual machines and programming when I'm not gaming. This issue has never occurred when I'm doing anything other than gaming. Even things such as Netflix or whatever that might be more GPU-intensive never cause this issue, although I'm aware that gaming is the most GPU intensive thing in this list.