[SOLVED] PC does not boot properly after installing corsair rgb pro 2666MHz ?

earth_moist666

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
When i tried swapping out my old RAM for my new 2x8gb kit of Corsair RGB pro 2666MHz RAM, my pc would not boot at first. It would 'turn on' but would not post. So i tried removing the CMOS battery, which sort of helped, it got me into BIOS where i tried to configure the right settings for my new RAM. But during configuring the settings my pc would freeze, and after a restart it would get stuck in this 'boot loop', forcing me to again remove the CMOS battery. When i try to boot directly without first configuring the ram, it would run at just 800MHz, and my pc would also freeze. Sometimes i'd get into windows, but programs would be acting weird and crashing until my pc would go into a hard hang. At which i would have to, again, reseat the CMOS battery and boot. I've tried some settings, XMP enabled and disabled, running at 2666MHz manually, turning on the 'Try it!' mode, which seems to be some sort of compatibility resolving function of MSI motherbords. But nothing has worked so far.

My specs are:
Msi z370 a-pro
Intel i7-9700k
Nvidia gtx 970 FE (still waiting for my 3080 which i ordered in october)
Well the ram is obvious, when i'm not trying to run off off my new ram i'm using some old Adata ram, also a 2x8GB kit running at about half the speed of the corsair kit

I hope someone has a solution to my problem

Solution
This does not seem to be the problem, i returned the RAM to Corsair and they sent me a replacement kit. Now when i insert the RAM my pc does boot, but apps in windows crash and i get BSOD frequently. I also have linux on my system on another drive, but linux also crashes frequently. I tried enabling XMP, disabling XMP, i have set the memory timings manually, the frequency, the voltage. I have reset the motherboard, and reseated the CMOS. There is nothing i can think of i didn't try yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I might just get a new motherboard otherwise.
Your CPU cooler could be making CPU pins shift out of position if you are tightening the mount too much. Either back off the mounting screws slightly to reduce...
When i tried swapping out my old RAM for my new 2x8gb kit of Corsair RGB pro 2666MHz RAM, my pc would not boot at first. It would 'turn on' but would not post. So i tried removing the CMOS battery, which sort of helped, it got me into BIOS where i tried to configure the right settings for my new RAM. But during configuring the settings my pc would freeze, and after a restart it would get stuck in this 'boot loop', forcing me to again remove the CMOS battery. When i try to boot directly without first configuring the ram, it would run at just 800MHz, and my pc would also freeze. Sometimes i'd get into windows, but programs would be acting weird and crashing until my pc would go into a hard hang. At which i would have to, again, reseat the CMOS battery and boot. I've tried some settings, XMP enabled and disabled, running at 2666MHz manually, turning on the 'Try it!' mode, which seems to be some sort of compatibility resolving function of MSI motherbords. But nothing has worked so far.

My specs are:
Msi z370 a-pro
Intel i7-9700k
Nvidia gtx 970 FE (still waiting for my 3080 which i ordered in october)
Well the ram is obvious, when i'm not trying to run off off my new ram i'm using some old Adata ram, also a 2x8GB kit running at about half the speed of the corsair kit

I hope someone has a solution to my problem
You could try reseating and then repasting the CPU. The issue may be a shifted CPU pin in the socket and is often a cause for boot looping or ram not being detected.

earth_moist666

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
This does not seem to be the problem, i returned the RAM to Corsair and they sent me a replacement kit. Now when i insert the RAM my pc does boot, but apps in windows crash and i get BSOD frequently. I also have linux on my system on another drive, but linux also crashes frequently. I tried enabling XMP, disabling XMP, i have set the memory timings manually, the frequency, the voltage. I have reset the motherboard, and reseated the CMOS. There is nothing i can think of i didn't try yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I might just get a new motherboard otherwise.

Your CPU cooler could be making CPU pins shift out of position if you are tightening the mount too much. Either back off the mounting screws slightly to reduce pressure or take the CPU out and check the socket pins for possible damage. If you tighten the CPU cooler too much on a new motherboard, you will probably have a similar issue.

Solution