Pc does not turn off by itself when i shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hello

Can anyone help me with my pc problem. I have antec 350 w power supply. After some upgrades, my pc does not turn off automatically when i shut down. It runs fine , and i see no error in the event viewer. The problem with my machine is that the power is always on. I have to unplug manually in order to shut it down. I have checked power settings in bios and control panel. Everything is normal. It still does not turn off automatically. I do not know what goes wrong. I have raid 0 setup , and i have 300 gb of data on my machine. I would rather not start from the scratch. can anyone give me any idea. Is that psu problem or software issues.

Thanks.

Thura.

ikaz

Distinguished
you know I had a simialr problem where I would choose to restart the PC but it wouldn't restart or fully shutdown I had to power it off using the back swich on the PSU. I traced the problem down to a memory I had replaced my mobo and processor and it seem that it didn't like this 512 ddr that worked find on my old board.

What did you update on your PC ? I also had to configure the power options in the mobo cause I didn't have the option of putting the OS in suspense mode with this new MB until I changed the values in the BIOS.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Right click on your desktop>Properties>settings where you change your screen rez,>advanced, there it sould give you options what to do when you want to shutdown, restart or hibernate :D
-Good Luck-

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I reinstalled my os. it is very weird because my pc is working fine except the shutdown problem. In fact , it shuts down. it just does not turn off automatically. The system has full power on after shutdown. I can tell the system shutdown by looking at the monitor. Do you know what is going on?

Thanks

Kama-sama

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I'm having the same problem with my laptop. The only difference is I haven't upgraded anything. Holding the power button seems to do the trick (easier than pulling out the battery), but I'd like to see if the solution to this problem will also help me. I should also note that this happens "most" of the time, and not all of the time.

Especially on laptops, I used to see this problem where a virus scanner was trying to scan the floppy drive on shutdown, which would cause a "deadly embrace" kind of situation. Did any of the updates you mention include a new virus scanner or anything similar?

NoCalDrummer

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I have a friend with the same problem. Almost. He dual-boots Windows and Linux. Most of the time, Windows doesn't shut the power off at shutdown. That even happened when it only had Windows on it. I re-installed the Windows TWICE, with pretty much the same results. So I just assumed that there was something defective in his hardware.
The third time I (re)installed Windows (this time because his antivirus/antispam software made it impossible for him to get online, and the "uninstall" didn't seem to work), I repartitioned his hard disk, installed Windows on most of it, and gave him a smaller Linux partition. Other than an occasional use of Photoshop Elements, he's now just using SuSE Linux 10. By the way, when you ask it to "shut down" it actually DOES shut off the power at the end - the hardware was apparently fine.

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hello all

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, it does not help. I am not sure it is hardware related (power supply ) or software related issues.

i assume it is software related because it worked fine until i reinstall the windows. All of a sudden it does not shut down by itself. I can press the power button to turn it off manually. Other than that it works fine.

I am thinking to reformat the hard drive and start a fresh installation. On the other hand, i am very reluctant to do that because , firstly, i have to break my raid 0 setup. secondly, i do not know where to put my 300 gb of data ( mostly movies). Thirdly, it is such a hassle that i have to overclock my gpu, create profile , and renetwork with other computers.

Do you have any other idea to solve my problems.

Thanks.

NoCalDrummer

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
You're overclocking? Dude, that could be a pretty major bit of info you left out. Try reducing the clock a bit. Also check out "Memtest". It's a small program that lets you check your RAM thoroughly. Let it run overnight. You'd be surprised how many RAM devices can't handle the tests, even when they're not overclocked.
If you can't find Memtest on its own, lots of free Linux distributions include it in their "Live" CDs. Try Ubuntu's Live CD or the install disc #1 for Fedora or SuSE. If it shows memory errors (tests 3, 5 and 8 seem to be the toughest), try reducing your overclocking, or increase your memory times until its stable.
Good luck!

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
hello

i overclocked my cpu, gpu and memory. i have put them back to normal speed. It is still not working.

I do not have instability issue. i have shutdown problem. My system works fine at all times except for one thing- not being able to shut down.

Thank you guys for your responses.

I welcome your responses. i still do not know what to do with it.

Thanks.

Kronos1

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I had a similar problem with Windows XP Pro not shutting down completely as well. It turned out to be a problem with my USB Hub.

I removed it from the system and voila! all worked fine. I am unsure if it was a driver related issue or the hub itself.

I hope this helps.

Kronos1

pinoyguild

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I have similar problem with this.

and thanks to Kronos1, i figured out that it has something to do with my usb flash drive.

when i insert my usb drive in the pc,
windows will prompt and says that it needs to check some errors because you did not use the "safely remove hardware" thing,

all i did was reformat the flash drive and pull/instert it again
and voila, it goes back to normal shutdown,

so, if you use flash drive, be sure to use the "safely remove hardware" thing :)

P.S. if you dont have a usb flash drive or didnt use it and still got shutdown errors, please disregard my post ABOVE.

ty

K.A.I of pinoyguild.com

arnie231

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Hi, having anilize your problem, it sounds that is virus is causing the problem I really recomend you to make a disk clean up deled all temporary files and download the following spywere romoval: smitfraudfix, its free
I hope this help you a lot

:pfff: And only three years late! CHECK THE POST DATE NUMBNUTS [:mousemonkey:2]

G

We have an Antec 350 Power supply. It does not shut down. For 1-2 years we just turn the computer off by the switch on the PS. Figured it was windows. Just moved the PS from the Win2K machine to a XP machine. Turn the power switch on the PS on and the lights and fans go on. However you have to press the button in front to boot windows and get the CD drives to work. It does this even without hard disks attached so now I know this is a hardware problem and not windows.

khai

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
My XP Sony laptop did not turn off the power by itself more than 4 months ago. I just patiently hold down the power button to turn it off. However, I got tired of that and found a lot of suggestions when it was too late to restore to the point before it happened. Then, I just upgraded it to Windows 7 with assist by Parallel app. It worked fine now.

teknode6890

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
In Windows 7 go into Device Manager and the the IEEE1394 Bus Controller. Right click the controller and go to the "Power Management" tab.
Check-mark "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
Your computer should shut down completely now.

Status
Not open for further replies.