[SOLVED] PC Doesn't Boot properly unless I do a Hard Restart ONCE, at every first power up in the day

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
My pc doesn't boot up properly everytime if it is the first power up of the day (if its not been powered up for a long time maybe 6 hours +)

The PC sometimes doesn't display the BIOS, but fans are runnng, keyboard and mice lights are on but the monitor has an orange light indicator in which tells me that theres no signal from the display

From the looks of it, windows loads (but just without the display) because I can sometimes hear my speakers muting on or off (I have a macro in my mouse in which I can mute / unmute at will). The pc or speakers respond and I can hear a bit of small static noise from the speakers when you mute the pc (the sound that it kinda makes when you mute or unmute something) so I concluded that windows loads because the mute / unmute seems to be happening

Sometimes at the first boot, BIOS displays (mobo manufacturer, press f2 or del) but when it loads the OS, it just loads halfway and it hangs there.

Both of these scenarios get fixed if I press the power button (hard restart) and do a power cycle and the next time it boots, it boots properly.

I don't know whats causing this, the only thing I haven't tried is reseatting all the cables / ram slots / gpu slots and SATA cables. I have done a complete windows fresh install but it didn't work.

It's fine but its kinda annoying to always have to do a SINGLE power cycle before properly booting my pc up. (Yeah, I just have to do a single hard reset in order for it to get fixed)

This started happening last tuesday in which I did no significant changes in my computer before this started happening so I am a bit confused.

I also have observed that If I restart multiple times after successfully booting, the problems above doesn't happen. This stuff happens if and only if it is the first power up of the day
I also always just use a soft shutdown (using windows, via mouse by clicking shutdown) I don't know if this is relevant but I read a forum thread that there's a relevance if it is the first power cycle of the day or if it happens after a long time that you have shut down your pc (about 6 hours or so) and or if whether I use the power button to shut down or just the mouse click that's why I have included those information here.

SPECS

i5 4570s
1060 3gb
8x2 1866mhz (@1600mhz) hyperx fury ddr3
h81m-d
Cooler mater MWE 550w
ADATA SP 550
Seagete Barracuda 7200 1TB

Solution
D
Update. i tried to unplug my gpu, do the eraser method on it and plugged it right back in, the pc wont boot or post, fans are just spinning fast for 2 seconds then slowing. idk whats wrong

i encountered this problem before with my ram, i eraser method it for a lot of times before it got fixed. idk why its doing it now that the gpu was removed and plugged
Interesting because I was going to tell you this is a ram problem. I’ve seen this personally, and I used to have an old machine that did exactly this thing where on the first time it powered up the ram would error out.

It’s almost like it doesn’t get properly charged the first time you try to boot it. If you’ve got different sticks of ram, try those.

test the ram using memtest86
My pc doesn't boot up properly everytime if it is the first power up of the day (if its not been powered up for a long time maybe 6 hours +)

The PC sometimes doesn't display the BIOS, but fans are runnng, keyboard and mice lights are on but the monitor has an orange light indicator in which tells me that theres no signal from the display

From the looks of it, windows loads (but just without the display) because I can sometimes hear my speakers muting on or off (I have a macro in my mouse in which I can mute / unmute at will). The pc or speakers respond and I can hear a bit of small static noise from the speakers when you mute the pc (the sound that it kinda makes when you mute or unmute something) so I concluded that windows loads because the mute / unmute seems to be happening

Sometimes at the first boot, BIOS displays (mobo manufacturer, press f2 or del) but when it loads the OS, it just loads halfway and it hangs there.

Both of these scenarios get fixed if I press the power button (hard restart) and do a power cycle and the next time it boots, it boots properly.

I don't know whats causing this, the only thing I haven't tried is reseatting all the cables / ram slots / gpu slots and SATA cables. I have done a complete windows fresh install but it didn't work.

It's fine but its kinda annoying to always have to do a SINGLE power cycle before properly booting my pc up. (Yeah, I just have to do a single hard reset in order for it to get fixed)

This started happening last tuesday in which I did no significant changes in my computer before this started happening so I am a bit confused.

I also have observed that If I restart multiple times after successfully booting, the problems above doesn't happen. This stuff happens if and only if it is the first power up of the day
I also always just use a soft shutdown (using windows, via mouse by clicking shutdown) I don't know if this is relevant but I read a forum thread that there's a relevance if it is the first power cycle of the day or if it happens after a long time that you have shut down your pc (about 6 hours or so) and or if whether I use the power button to shut down or just the mouse click that's why I have included those information here.

SPECS

i5 4570s
1060 3gb
8x2 1866mhz (@1600mhz) hyperx fury ddr3
h81m-d
Cooler mater MWE 550w
ADATA SP 550
Seagete Barracuda 7200 1TB
Cheap test.....replace the bios bat.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Update. i tried to unplug my gpu, do the eraser method on it and plugged it right back in, the pc wont boot or post, fans are just spinning fast for 2 seconds then slowing. idk whats wrong

i encountered this problem before with my ram, i eraser method it for a lot of times before it got fixed. idk why its doing it now that the gpu was removed and plugged

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

i removed the gpu, it still boot loops
so i tried to go back to my previous problem which was the ram

so i tried removing one stick of my ram (i had this weird problem before where my pc wont boot unless only one ram stick was plugged in. and my pc booted. so it is either the ram slot or ram itself.

weird enough, my pc boots up if only one ram is plugged but it doesnt matter which ram or which slot, i tried swapping combinations

1 ram only
ram b to slot b not working
ram a to slot a working
ram b to slot a working
ram a to slot b to test

2 rams
ram a to slot a and ram b to slot b (default) not working
ram a to slot b and ram b to slot a - to test

ive tried these combinations before and it seems to work, but when i put two of them togeter, my pc starts having boot problems.

my ram is hyperxfury ddr3 both blue, both 1866mhz same clocks and timings so idk what is happening nd it worked before and h81md motherboard

Last edited:
i removed the gpu, it still boot loops
so i tried to go back to my previous problem which was the ram

so i tried removing one stick of my ram (i had this weird problem before where my pc wont boot unless only one ram stick was plugged in. and my pc booted. so it is either the ram slot or ram itself.

weird enough, my pc boots up if only one ram is plugged but it doesnt matter which ram or which slot, i tried swapping combinations

1 ram only
ram b to slot b not working
ram a to slot a working
ram b to slot a working
ram a to slot b to test

2 rams
ram a to slot a and ram b to slot b (default) not working
ram a to slot b and ram b to slot a - to test

ive tried these combinations before and it seems to work, but when i put two of them togeter, my pc starts having boot problems.

my ram is hyperxfury ddr3 both blue, both 1866mhz same clocks and timings so idk what is happening nd it worked before and h81md motherboard
Did you replace the bios bat?

Use one stick of ram and get the pc to boot.
Go to the mobo site and verify you are on the latest bios.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Did you replace the bios bat?

Use one stick of ram and get the pc to boot.
Go to the mobo site and verify you are on the latest bios.

Not yet. I haven't gotten it

Though an update with the ram issue, I swapped ram A to slot B and ram B to slot A and it worked. I don't know why is that.

I haven't observed whether the boot problem will still persist cause I have been using my PC and haven't had the chance to let it off for a long time and then boot for the first time.

Though, I have observed, and I didn't mention this in this thread because I thought it was purely unrelated but I was actually experiencing an absurdly LOW FPS in my game, particularly lost ark. (also the same time when the boot problem started, is when I had the issue of having an absurdly low fps)

I was having a weird bug? and observed that my GPU is constantly at 90-100% usage but with a low FPS. I don't know if that was related to the RAM issue or whether that related to the GPU pins being dirty (since I cleaned it using the eraser method) but it has been fixed now and I am running the game smoother than before.

I will continue to observe and update

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Interesting because I was going to tell you this is a ram problem. I’ve seen this personally, and I used to have an old machine that did exactly this thing where on the first time it powered up the ram would error out.

It’s almost like it doesn’t get properly charged the first time you try to boot it. If you’ve got different sticks of ram, try those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Oh I see! and I'm writing this the next day. The moment my FPS problems were gone, the moment it also stopped doing the boot problem (I'm writing this after 7 hours have passed) and it now properly boots

I'm gonna do a memtest86 to see.

I used windows memory diagnostic before (like 10 months ago or so or a year ago) but it hanged forever over there and I got too scared to do it again so I avoided doing that again.

Edit: I won't be able to run it now as it takes a long time, I'm gonna do a memtest tonight again with at least 8 passes (I tried to run with only 4 but I read that I should at least do 8 passes), I passed 1/4 until I decided to do it later. Will update you in 24 or so hours.

Last edited:

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Update: so i just realized that u can only do 8 passes if u use a paid version, im only using free soim limited to 4 passes. im gonna run the test now to see if it has any errors will update soon.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
I had finished the test with 4 passes and it found no errors.

Weird enough, once I got back to lost ark, My Gpu usage was high and my fps was low again

Yesterday I was running the game for 55-60fps, for 2 days, I was having a high cpu usage, particullarly my cpu was bottlenecking slightly but my fps was high. I observed that my core clock in my gpu was stable at 1500 mhz(which was the core clock of 1060 3gb) and power usage was normal at 40-60w

Now apparently my gpu is bottlenecking with 100% usage and 30 fps (Sometimes 40), and my CPU usage is 50-60% and one thing that I have observed is that my GPU Core Clock is now at 1800 mhz (I don't know if that is a boost of some sort) but even now that it is 1800 mhz, my fps was absurdly low (cut down by almost half) compared to yesterday.

I don't know if both of these problems are related at all. Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Update:

So my curiosity is killing me so I couldn't help but test.

I have a spare ram which was only 4gb, I was gonna try to run it 4+8 (12gb) and it wouldn't post again so I just decided to use just one since it boots if only 1 ram is plugged
(Somehow the problem happens when I swap out rams or change them, I dont know how I got it to work yesterday but yeah)

I unplugged the 2nd ram again and decided to do only 1 ram

My fps returned to normal (55-60) fps and im only using 1 8gb stick of ram my gpu usage is now only around 33 and my fps is 60, and also my cpu usage is a bit high (slightly cpu bottleneck, b ut my fps is high)

and Weirdly enough, my lost ark graphics settings was defaulted back to very high (i used to run everything low)

I Don't know why, and what's causing this. I will try to make the 12gb combination work.

I have also noticed that the CL timings on my previous ram was wrong so I decided to test my old kit of ram that is exactly identical (8gb and 4gb) , the 8gb I removed has the same brand, hyperx fury 1866mhz 8gb, blue, but the serial number and shroud is different (it is much thinner) , the old ram that Im gonna try to use is 4gb and I am gonna check if the CL timings are exactly the same as the 8gb one that I am using here as I am typing this.

my RAM A has JDEC 5 6 7 8
while RAM B (which i removed) had JDEC 4 5 6 7

RAM A has CL timings of 9 10 11 13
and RAM B has CL timings of 10 10 11 something( i was sure about the last one but i was sure that It didn't have the exact CL timings as my RAM A)

I checked in CPU-z

I don't know if its supposed to be different or it should be the exact same so I am gonna try to use my old 4gb one and check if it has the exact same timings as my RAM A

One thing is for sure, my fps drastically decreases because of my other ram, or my pc has problems running it on dual channel mode since my fps returned on how it should have been behaving once I removed the second stick of RAM. The fps also increased yesterday once I plugged in my rams in and out, and it only started to drop again today after I ran memtest) so this was my conclusion (i could be wrong though).

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Another Update:

So I noticed that my PC won't post / boot properly, if I swap out rams and boot it up instantly,

I have to always post and boot the pc first with only using one ram, and then insert the secondary ram after. (It now boot with my old configuration of 12gb (8+4)).

I think it was having conflicts because my RAM B had different CL Timings) and yeah, I checked now and my old ram (4gb) it has the same exact timings as my 8gb one, as mentioned before, (it is now 9 10 11 13) and its serial number has the exact same format.

The 8gb one that I removed had different CL timings , same clocks but different CL's/ Ras to Cas etc or values in CPU-z)

I also think that my game was having problems / having low fps because of the RAM.

Though I used this ram with my other 8gb ram before for a long time, but before I got it to work, my pc also won't boot then (the first time I installed it).

And sorry for the confusion, I didn't mention that the 8gb ram that I removed (the one that I was previously using before all of this problem started happening), I ordered it online and it had a different shroud / backplate thickness but I thought that wouldn't matter.

Basically I somehow had a ram that has the same timings / clock speed but little to my knowledge and It was my fault for not checking, it had a different serial number and different CL timings / ras timings.