Question PC doesn't fully turn off when i Shut Down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RSpearritt13

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
Hi.

I recently built a new PC running on Windows 10 OS. The first week or so it ran perfectly with no issue at all. The only problem now and it has lasted a few weeks is that when I Shut Down properly from Windows itself, the case fans, cpu fan and the RGB lighting all stay on unless I hold down the power button on the case.

Does anybody know of any solutions?

Thanks!

RSpearritt13

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
I meant the restart option when exiting windows.
I did not hear back if the issue happens in safe mode. Also when is the last time up updated your bios? V A4 was to Improve M.2 Genie function, which might help with your problem.
I’m safe mode, when I shut down the mouse, keyboard turns off but the pc stays on and it froze on the screen saying “shutting down”

First you need to determine what BIOS ver you have. Boot to the BIOS and turn on EX mode, which should tell you the current Bios. Or if you can use a computer info utility like CPU-Z. The newest version that might help is 7B23vA4 (ver 4). If you determine you have an older ver, go to the below link and there is a link to a youtube that shows you how to flash the BIOS.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM

RSpearritt13

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
First you need to determine what BIOS ver you have. Boot to the BIOS and turn on EX mode, which should tell you the current Bios. Or if you can use a computer info utility like CPU-Z. The newest version that might help is 7B23vA4 (ver 4). If you determine you have an older ver, go to the below link and there is a link to a youtube that shows you how to flash the BIOS.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM
I’ve updated my bios to the latest version, still have the issue. So at this current stage, I’ve tested the ram and ram slots etc, checked the drives, reinstalled windows, done safe mode.

Windows does not like to shut down in case it wants to do an update for you.
When you hold down the power button for 4+ seconds you are crashing the system, somewhat like pulling the power plug.

If you hold down the shift key while pressing the windows shut down button, it should shut down gracefully.
There will still be some trickle power to the psu which lets it start again.

I suggest that you use sleep to ram(no hibernate)
That puts the pc in a very low power state quickly and wakes up quickly too.

RSpearritt13

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
Windows does not like to shut down in case it wants to do an update for you.
When you hold down the power button for 4+ seconds you are crashing the system, somewhat like pulling the power plug.

If you hold down the shift key while pressing the windows shut down button, it should shut down gracefully.
There will still be some trickle power to the psu which lets it start again.

I suggest that you use sleep to ram(no hibernate)
That puts the pc in a very low power state quickly and wakes up quickly too.
Right this is a strange one. I left the power cord to my psu out last night because I took the side panels off my case and was checking everything was in ordered Andy forgot to plug it back in. I’ve now woken up this morning and plugged he chord back into the psu and everything shuts down and restarts as normal? This isn’t weird lol. Even the restart switch on my case now works. Idk. Thanks for all the help though I’ll Be sure to connect you again if everything stops working again!

Reactions: onespeedbiker
This is called cold boot and it's great it worked for you. It is very possible the bios change did the trick, but there was still some some corrupt information in your RAM. Since your computer stopped shutting down, the data in your RAM was not cleared out. Unplugging your computer and letting it sit (pressing the power button after unplugging will speed up the process) clears out the RAM. You did this earlier when you removed and reinserted the RAM, so something else you did solved your problem, you just needed to clear out the RAM again. Regradless Good Job!

Last edited:
Reactions: RSpearritt13

RSpearritt13

Prominent
Mar 30, 2019
This is called cold boot and I't great it worked for you. I is very possible the bios change did the trick, but there was still some some corrupt information in your RAM. Since your computer stopped shutting down, the data in your RAM was not cleared out. Unplugging your computer and letting it sit (pressing the power button after unplugging will speed up the process) clears out the RAM. You did this earlier when you removed and reinserted the RAM, so something else you did solved your problem, you just needed to clear out the RAM again. Regradless Good Job!
Thank you very much. Glad you’ve taught me steps if it happens again and also updated my bios for me. Thanks for the help once again!