Question Pc doesnt turn on unless i plug into a different socket

super92

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
On day my pc stopped turning on, all mobo lights are on, the case is feeding power to the mobo, i can hear the electricity noises when i press the power button and ive tried changing restart and power buttons anyways with no luck. I tried to change the power cable from extension to main wall socket and it worked, my pc turned on.
It worked fine until i shut down or even put it to sleep, all lights are still on but pc doesnt turn on fully, no bleeps or fan turns, nothing. Changed the cable from wall socket to extension and it works... so now im playing around changing the sockets every time i want to turn my pc on.
Bought a new psu, exact same problem... So if its not the psu im stomped. I really dont want it to be the mobo, anyone here knows of this problem?

ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Prime P ATX Motherboard
4x corsair ddr4 (2x4gb CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 and 2x8gb CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
PSU HX 850
GTX 780Ti
i7 8700k 3.7ghz

Last edited:

super92

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
When i said i can hear noises its to say that the case is giving power to the mobo :D when i put my ear right next to the mobo
Yeah multiple electricians said its likely the psu...
I meant the pc doesnt turn on twice while in the same socket. Everything else in the house works fine

super92

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
An update, found out that if I pull out a ram stick pc will turn on. However if I then turn pc off and try to turn on again it wont work, I need to pull out another ram stick or put that initial one in and then pull it out again.
So now I dont have to play around with the sockets ...

An update, found out that if I pull out a ram stick pc will turn on. However if I then turn pc off and try to turn on again it wont work, I need to pull out another ram stick or put that initial one in and then pull it out again.
So now I dont have to play around with the sockets ...
That sounds like something's 'intermittent-broken' on the motherboard and plugging/unplugging RAM is just making the broken 'thing' change state.

I'd remove/reinstall all connectors and maybe even consider the same for the CPU. Make sure connectors are tight and fully engaged after re-seating them. Also check motherboard mounting screws and standoffs to make sure they're all there and tight and no standoffs under the board where there's not a mounting hole for a screw.

Reactions: super92
That sounds like something's 'intermittent-broken' on the motherboard and plugging/unplugging RAM is just making the broken 'thing' change state.

I'd remove/reinstall all connectors and maybe even consider the same for the CPU. Make sure connectors are tight and fully engaged after re-seating them. Also check motherboard mounting screws and standoffs to make sure they're all there and tight and no standoffs under the board where there's not a mounting hole for a screw.
I wouldn't be surprised if actually a defective condenser on the motherboard. Best of luck locating it and changing it (it was easy at the time motherboards used liquid based condenser, not anymore).

super92

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Tried the same with CPU and GPU no luck, only ram seems to do the trick. Redone all the connectors and played around with which one could be giving me the problem with no luck as well. Ill try to get my hands on another mobo and ill update then

Tried the same with CPU and GPU no luck, only ram seems to do the trick. Redone all the connectors and played around with which one could be giving me the problem with no luck as well. Ill try to get my hands on another mobo and ill update then
Another likely culprit is one or more defective solder joints, possibly under CPU socket or memory socket. They often crack and will make intermittent contact. Finding it is hard and even if you did re- soldering could be difficult You're probably better off finding another mobo if it's not to expensive as it should be cheaper than professional repair to a solder ball mounted part. If you can find someone with the equipment.

Reactions: super92
check each and every ram. Try to boot using a single stick of ram, if it boots up, use that stick and check each ram slots, also make sure the ram is properly seated, bcoz i have seen many having such problems bcoz they did not properly seat the rams into the slot, but dont give too much pressure, do it gently. if everything checks out then check which ram stick is faulty. Also in windows, turn off fast startup. its definitely a ram issue either the slots or the ram modules.

super92

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks guys
Changed the motherboard, everything is now back to normal.
Ive looked through all the solder joints and capacitors and did not find any obvious abnormalities, altough the capacitors are in a secure casing and dont allow for bulging.
About the ram. I forgot to mention it, but even if i pull out all the ram out, pc will turn on, make beeps that theres no ram installed. I then turn it off, try to turn it back on and nothing... so even without ram same problem.

P.S. how do I make this topic solved?