[SOLVED] PC enters sleep mode when gaming

Jun 25, 2019
Hello guys, I have this issue where my PC just goes to a black screen with the message ''entering sleep mode'' and the CPU led light turns on whenever I try to play certain games for more than half an hour. My PC is running ancient technology in 2020 but since I don't have much free time anymore to play and computers and their components in my country are wayyyy overpriced I never upgraded to a better PC. I understand that my PC can't handle newer titles so I tried to play older games like Grand Theft Auto 4, Assassins Creed 4 or Black Mesa but I ran into the same issue every time.

My specs are:

ASUS m5a97 evo r2.0 motherborad
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II - 2 GB GDDR5 video card
AMD FX-6350 processor with wraith cooler
Corsair CX600 PSU
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB RAM 1600 Mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS

I would also like to add that the PC is a complete mess and the only way to turn it on is to press the MemOK and direct key on the mobo while playing with the PSU on and off button until you hit the perfect sequence where all red lights on the mobo go away and the damn thing can actually go into BIOS. Even then sometimes the system will crash at the windows loading screen forcing me to take out the CMOS battery for some time in order to be able to start the thing again.

I have been using the PC like this for maybe 2 years now but the issue with sleep mode began last November/December when I was playing Assassins Creed 4. In late September I bought a brand new, never unboxed FX-6350 processor with a wraith cooler from a guy selling stock from a bankrupt PC parts supplier. I had the same processor before but it ended up getting damaged when it came off when I removed the old cooler for cleaning. I used to have the same issue with the computer entering sleep mode when I tried playing GTA 4 a year ago but back then I had a 2008 cooler on the processor so I just assumed it was too weak and the thing was overheating.

I managed to clock something like 70 hours on AC4 between September and November/December without any issues before the problems started showing. At first it crashed 2-3 times after playing for a few hours straight and then suddenly it was crashing not 5 minutes after the game was started, every time. I gave up on the thing and went to GTA 4 where I encountered the same issue. Never had an issue with Yakuza 0 though and I clocked about 180 hours when attempting to earn all achievements. Same thing goes for Project Zomboid which I have been playing for over 2 months now and the PC hasn't entered sleep mode once.

I decided to play Black Mesa this week and ran into the same problem as AC 4 and GTA 4. I thought that maybe something was overheating so I turned the settings down a bit and installed MSI afterburner and RivaTuner to check and the game crashed 2 minutes after I started it with a CPU temperature under 40 degrees celsius and a GPU temperature of 51 celsius. Obviously overheating isn't the issue. The the GPU fans are running fine, and so is the CPU cooler. Both the case fans are no longer working but I have the case open and far away from any walls so the heat can be vented freely. I cleaned the GPU, PSU and CPU from dust so they shouldn't be clogged.

Due to the recent COVID-19 outbreaks I am stuck at home with nothing to do as the goverment ordered a full lockdown on the country for 1 month and currently every business other than gas stations, supermarkets and drug stores is closed so I can't even buy a new PC/parts. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me fix this issue, so I can actually pass the time somehow while stuck at home.

Solution
I would lean towards the PSU dying. I understand the COVID crisis affecting you but there is not much else you can do. Have you reinstalled your drivers? Use DDU to uninstall the 660Ti drivers and then reinstall it from the Nvidia website.