Question PC freezes after being idle (apparently) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Hello friends,

Firstly I would like to point out that this PC has been running for the past 2 years or so superbly and this issue started just about a month ago.

The issue is that after being idle for X duration (don't really know when it happens.. only that I am not at home when it does) the PC freezes and there is nothing to do until I restart the machine.

I have the following getup:

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced Overclocked 8G GDDR6
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-32GVR

The OS is Windows 10 64 bit 21h1 and the PC is connected to a Samsung TV (55" :) )

I believe this whole conundrum started when I did a BIOS update from 3604 to 4021.

The TV is not showing up anything cause once the PC is in idle mode the TV shows "No connection".

In the Windows Event Viewer there is absolutely nothing:

Lets say that the PC went cold at around 4 AM, I found out about it and restarted the machine at 1PM - In the logs I will have logs up until it froze at 4 AM and new logs from 1 PM stating that the PC went through a restart.

Steps taken:

• Downgraded the bios to its previous state but no go.
  • Restore the BIOS to its default configuration.
  • Installed Acronis drive monitor - My HDDS are 100%
  • Checked Event Viewer - Nothing.
  • Ran BenchMark(Cant remember which one) - Got great results and no freezing occurred.
  • During a freezing phase - Pinged my main PC from another PC within the same LAN - No reply / destination host is unreachable.
  • During a freezing phase - Connected a wired keyboard and mouse - No response, No LED indicators. (This specific time the TV did show the screen, which was frozen - The clock was frozen as well!)

I have no idea what to do here....

And I really need my PC to not die on me... I have configured DDNS and this PC is my working tool when I am at work...(I have another PC on the same LAN but this PC has more software I need for my work such as VMWARE etc')

Thanks in advanced for the assist!

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Seems like you have a lot of "Performance" parts with high clock speeds / factory overclocks. Likely this is an overheating issue or power draw issue caused by your overclocking profile.

Turn all components down to stock speed to see if the issue goes away.

If it does, you probably just need to clean out dust from your fans etc.

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
what make/model PSU?

I am staying at my folks house for the weekend but I am pretty sure(Like 90% sure) that its
ANTEC PSU 750W High Current Gamer Gold

Seems like you have a lot of "Performance" parts with high clock speeds / factory overclocks. Likely this is an overheating issue or power draw issue caused by your overclocking profile.

Turn all components down to stock speed to see if the issue goes away.

If it does, you probably just need to clean out dust from your fans etc.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I believe (Need to check) that there isnt any overclock configuration on the CPU since I've reverted the BIOS to its default state...

But I will double check once I am home...

Normally I would agree with heating issues - But when I am home and playing "heavy" games such as "Assassin's Creed Valhalla" for example - I can play for hours without any issue.

Do you know by any chance a software called "Speedfan"? If so - Would you recommend it to analyze the heating situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.