Question PC freezes on windows startup after in-game black screen crash

Jul 8, 2023
Hi,

I built a pc about 4 months ago, it worked fine until yesterday. I was playing then had a black screen, I had to force shutdown and when booting windows froze on loading screen. Now every time I boot it freezes on the loading screen even in repair mode. I tried to plug a windows usb but it freezes in the recovery menu. I also tried booting on ubuntu and it also freezes on loading. Everything is fine in the bios and xmp is disabled (all settings in bios are to default, did a bios update). Also had multiple bsod before the freezes with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and sometimes KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

What I already tried :
  • Booting in safe mode
  • Booting from usb windows installer
  • Booting ubuntu from usb
  • Updating bios
  • Removed gpu, ssd (replaced with hdd) and one stick of ram
  • Switching between the two sticks of ram
  • Clearing cmos which let the windows usb installer run until I clicked on "install now" and made it freeze
I'm now thinking of a cpu/mobo/psu failure but I have no other components to test...

If anyone has any idea how I can handle this.
Thanks

Specs :
  • i7 13700 with thermalright 120se
  • 2x8gb Kingston fury beast ddr4
  • MSI B760 tomahawk wifi ddr4
  • MSI RTX 4070ti ventus
  • Samsung 980 pro 1tb
  • Seasonic focus gx750

Lutfij

Titan
did a bios update
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Did you try operating with one stick of ram? If you think that the PSU might be at fault, remove the discrete GPU from the build and power off the iGPU. With less power draw/stress on the PSU, if the build powers up, then the PSU is incapable of delivering power to all components(which could be a faulty unit, if the PSU was purchased brand new).

You could install the OS onto another drive to rule out your drive being the root cause of the issue.

Jul 8, 2023
did a bios update
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Did you try operating with one stick of ram? If you think that the PSU might be at fault, remove the discrete GPU from the build and power off the iGPU. With less power draw/stress on the PSU, if the build powers up, then the PSU is incapable of delivering power to all components(which could be a faulty unit, if the PSU was purchased brand new).

You could install the OS onto another drive to rule out your drive being the root cause of the issue.
BIOS is AMI 7D96v14. I already tried with one stick of ram in every slot (and also switching between two). I removed everything already the pc is motherboard + cpu + ram + 500gb hdd + 3 case fans and the cooler, and problem still persists. If I turn off the igpu how do I know if the os is booting ?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS