Question PC freezes randomly, cannot replicate error

Aug 9, 2020
Hello!

I am writting here to see if someone can help with this problem.

My computer freezes at random moments, sometimes it is after a couple hours of gaming and sometimes 2 minutes after I started it. When it does not freeze the performance is usually optimal. As said in the title, I cannot replicate the error, RAM usage seems to be ok, the cores work just right and the temperature is average.

I have already tried this things: to install a brand new OS (win 10 right now),to update the BIOS, to place the RAM in different slots, to place new RAM sticks, a new power supply unit and a new SSD.

Before trying anything of the above mentioned, my PC would not start in some ocassions, the motherboard gave error codes in several occasions.

I would like to give any chance to my build before buying a new motherboard, because I cannot locate the actual error.

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight Core Processor 3.50 GHz
RAM: 8 GB G Skillz Ripjaws DDR3
GPU: Nvidia 970 GTX
Motherboard: Asrock 990FX Extreme9
SO: Win 10
PSU: Corsair VX 550W
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 (this is the one I am using right now butuntil a couple was working with a SandDisk SSD Plus. I changed them to check if it was the issue). This one has a fresh new win 10 install. 250 GB with 180 GB of free space.
HDD 1: WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0. 1TB and 300 GB of free space.
HDD 2: Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 ATA Device. 300 Gb and 100 GB of free space.

So, any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

You can also use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

What happens up to and at the time of a freeze.

Aug 9, 2020
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

You can also use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

What happens up to and at the time of a freeze.

Hello!

I will check the Viewer the next time I get the PC frozen and I will share the info too.

PSU: Corsair VX 550W
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 (this is the one I am using right now butuntil a couple was working with a SandDisk SSD Plus. I changed them to check if it was the issue). This one has a fresh new win 10 install. 250 GB with 180 GB of free space.
HDD 1: WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0. 1TB and 300 GB of free space.
HDD 2: Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 ATA Device. 300 Gb and 100 GB of free space.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS