Question PC freezes when not playing games ?

Oct 25, 2021
So I have this problem that's been ongoing for quite a while as I am unable to find the fix for it. My PC randomly freezes when I leave it on desktop or I'm web browsing or watching youtube, talking on discord etc. but it doesn't freeze when I'm playing League or any game actually. The freeze also isn't like your normal freeze; I can still move my mouse and if on yt the video still plays and the sound also I just can't close the programmes I'm already using or open any new ones. On discord i can still hear people talking but they can't hear me etc. Also the animations of minimising windows become choppy?
Those same problems don't happen while gaming though which I find strange.

If you have any idea what it could be I would greatly appreciate your info. Fyi I'm not running any overclocks and the drives are all up to date.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6GB
MB: Asus Prime X470-PRO
RAM: 2x Corsair VENGEANCE pro 8GB 3200mhz

What OS version are you running?

When was the last time, if ever, that you did an ACTUAL clean install of Windows?

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed?

Do you have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed from the AMD website?

Have you performed a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU?

What HAVE you actually TRIED up until now, since you say you've had the problem a while but you don't outline anything you've tried to fix the problem.

You also haven't said anything about your power supply model, and knowing the EXACT model would be helpful because this could certainly be related to that. Not all PSU problems occur because of problems at the higher end of output, some have issues at the lower end as well.

Oct 25, 2021
I'm running windows 10 and I wiped the drives and did a clean install already like 3 times with 0 results. I also already updated/reinstalled pretty much all drivers on the pc - nothing worked. As for the power supply I am running LC6550 V2.3 of the super silent series. I also scanned for viruses a few time and also did sfc scans etc etc. Nothing seemed to resolve or detect the issue.

Thank you for the idea I downloaded the app and it said everything is already up to date. The freeze then happened again shortly after...
freezes are often related to ram/gpu issues:

Can you try the following:

try to boot with only one ramstick

Go into the bios and do a reset to "default values"
this sets your bios to out of the box (this does NOT affect your bios version in case you have updted the bios)

next try to reproduce the freezing

let us know how it went, and we'll go from there

How long has that power supply been in service that you know of?

Pretty crappy anyhow. 550w unit that even on the label indicates it can only handle up to 450w, and probably can't even sustain that. And if it also has a few miles on it, that's sure where I'd start.

Oct 25, 2021
Yeah I thought so as well so I already went ahead and purchased a new psu and replaced it. Was hoping it was gonna do the trick but sadly the problem still occurs so at this point I don't even know anymore. I guess it may be a mobo issue? Idk

Jun 19, 2021
do you have XMP/DOCP profile active in bios?
if yes then your RAM is not verified for your MB

easy fix: buy RAM that are verified with your current MB
hard fix: play with the clock rate on your RAM to get the desired Mhz

A new psu from Evga but the point being that the problem still occurs so its not a psu issue its gotta be something else.. I just don't know where to look anymore..
Hello again, can you source a loaner gpu (from a friend/familymember etc)

replace your gpu with said loaner gpu and try to recreate the freezing, let us know

For good measure i would also update your mobo driver to the lastest version