PC freezes when playing games

DoubleAUnknown

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Recently I've been having an issue with every game I play.
The computer just randomly freezes up, either while the game is starting up or while I'm playing.
I've also noticed that the more demanding a game is, like Dying Light, Doom or XCOM 2 for example freeze up faster than less demanding games like Rimworld, Crossfire or The Walking Dead.
Doesn't really make a difference what I play though, because it will eventually end up causing the computer to freeze. This only happens when I'm playing games or starting up a game.
NO other time does the computer freeze up, I can watch videos, surf the web all day long, nothing will happen.
I know it's not a temperature issue, I've checked that, memtest86 says all is fine, system file checker shows no problems, all of my drivers are up to date. I've never experienced an issue like this before, I am at a complete loss here.

Something worth mentioning is that the computer doesn't just COMPLETELY freeze up, it kind of freezes. The start up of a game, or the image or whatever is currently happening in the game freezes, but the audio just loops. I can alt+tab to free my curser and ctrl+alt+del to try to either reset or shut down the computer, but it never resets or shuts down, it just infinitely stays on the screen saying that it's shutting down. The only way is to hold down the power button and shut it down that way.

I really need some help here.

My specs are:
CPU: i7-4790K
Motherboard: Z97-PRO GAMER
RAM: DDR3 16GB (x2 8GB sticks)
GPU: GTX 1080Ti

Thank you

DoubleAUnknown

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

CPU and GPU temps are average while underload.
The highest I clocked my CPU underload was 55 degrees C or about 131 degrees F.
GPU highest temp I saw was 61 degrees C, 142 degrees F.

The PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W Gold

DoubleAUnknown

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Took a while, but MemTest86 shows no errors
Checked BIOS and memory clock speed is normal, so is timing, nothing wrong there.