PC Gaming Will Have Its Own Event At E3 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
awesome line up though, love Sean Plott, and Cliff Bleszinski. And then with Blizzard and Cloud Imperium, you actually have some PC focused devs.

As for golden age; I don't know, Quake, Quake 3, Counter Strike, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament all in late 90s. I don't think there is any modern games to compare in either the RTS or FPS genres to those behemoths. For now i still think late 90s was the golden age. But prove me wrong game devs!

MrGulio

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
"Many in the industry believe that this is the golden age of PC gaming. However, some may disagree, saying that the golden age was back in the 1990s."

The argument seems pedantic, how about we just say that PC gaming is great right now and try to keep it that way.

It is a pretty sweet time to be a 1080p PC gamer. Hardware is available and cheap enough to pull up budget gamers into the performance/enthusiast class. 24" 1080p monitors under $200, Sub $300 GPU's that max out 1920x1080p resolutions in Ultra setting & can prop up under performing CPU's via an API, spindle drives at an all time low.
It is a golden age for the 1080p PC gamer.

awesome line up though, love Sean Plott, and Cliff Bleszinski. And then with Blizzard and Cloud Imperium, you actually have some PC focused devs.

As for golden age; I don't know, Quake, Quake 3, Counter Strike, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament all in late 90s. I don't think there is any modern games to compare in either the RTS or FPS genres to those behemoths. For now i still think late 90s was the golden age. But prove me wrong game devs!

Cliff is nothing more than a toolbag nowadays. I still remember him trying to justify crappy PC ports when you was working on Gear of War. He'll go anywhere and say anything if you wave a dollar in front of him nowadays, inspiration has long since expired from his brain.

There's a new generation of PC centric companies bringing new things to gaming, seeing part of the old-guard doesn't not say PC to me.

Agreed. It must be that certain people don't want to believe that another experience can match or exceed something they've held so dear. I don't quite thing PC gaming is at it's peak yet, I'm pretty sure it has room to grow.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
$200 for a monitor and $300 for a CPU? Locally, Microcenter sells a 24" monitor for $110 and up. An i5-4570 is $200 and you can get a decent board for about $50. Throw in a $60~70 500watt PSU and a $200 ATI card and your pretty much ready to go.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I agree. PC gaming is great right now...no need to compare it to the 90s.
Also I must add Steam Streaming changed the PC game in the sense you can play games remotely off Hardware that would never play it locally. Even works cross platform. Now playing a PC game is never an issue no matter what OS I am using.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
We'll see.... the console market is still stronger than PC gaming... I think that the current gen games are simply not much better than the last one. Perhaps at least one more generation of newer GPU might have helped?

I think the NEXT GEN consoles will be here sooner, rather than later as 4K TVs are stilling to get... affordable. So maybe 2~3 years from now. And if they stick with the same APUs... then compatibility will be a non-issue.

I game on both console and PC and have been doing so since the mid-90s. The PC has always been more for serious shooters and racing sims where graphics are needed at the maximum limit with the highest FPS performance. The console for more general party-type playing with friends, either split screen side-by-side couch gaming in person or online.

A few of my friends have kids who are now 12-15 years old and have taken interest in wanting to learn about building a PC gaming rig. They were born when I was playing Quake II and Half Life 1 on a 400MHz Pentium II, Riva TNT2 gaming rig with a 1280x1024 17" CRT! They grew up playing consoles and more recently tablets for gaming, but want more. I've already taught one how to build and walked him through everything from buying the components to putting them in correctly and safely and dealing with the biggest headache, software and driver installation and setup. I think if there are enough kids out there like this, PC gaming will continue to grow and be around for a long time.

It will be a very long time before we see a console run true 4K gaming at 30FPS, let alone 60FPS (vs. up-scaled 1080p games). We are still several years away from 4K PC gaming becoming main stream with "affordable" mid-range cards for the masses. Only in the last two years or so have we seen 1080p performance (60+fps) on games with low mid-range ($200-$250US) cards. And look at the XBox One. Some of the games on it won't even run at 1080p and MS had to have those games scaled back to 900p even though the PS4 can run the same game natively at 1080p. Based on the last few console generations from Sony and Microsoft, we are looking at around 2019-2020 before the PS5 and Xbox Whatever are released.

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Developers that make modern AAA titles still treat the PC as a secondclass system to the console for gaming. The only AAA title for the pc that uses it as the priority platform is the battlefield series.

Xtremepr0

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
Developers that make modern AAA titles still treat the PC as a secondclass system to the console for gaming. The only AAA title for the pc that uses it as the priority platform is the battlefield series.

I guess you're reffering to "modern AAA FPS titles"... Any other genre is not like that... Take in count Racing Sims, RTS (Total War Series for example) or even Multi-Platform games with better visuals and overall performance like Alien Isolation, Tomb Raider, Batman Series, etc, etc... The time where PC got nothing more than crappy ports was 2 years ago... Lately the PC is getting the better end of the stick...

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I for one think there has never been a better time to be a PC gamer. With VR right around the corner, windows 10 w/DX12 vulcan/mantle api's to get the best performance out of mid-range hardware for great visuals at 1080p and good FPS. This is a golden age for PC gaming.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I for one think there has never been a better time to be a PC gamer. With VR right around the corner, windows 10 w/DX12 vulcan/mantle api's to get the best performance out of mid-range hardware for great visuals at 1080p and good FPS. This is a golden age for PC gaming.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I game on both console and PC and have been doing so since the mid-90s. The PC has always been more for serious shooters and racing sims where graphics are needed at the maximum limit with the highest FPS performance. The console for more general party-type playing with friends, either split screen side-by-side couch gaming in person or online.

A few of my friends have kids who are now 12-15 years old and have taken interest in wanting to learn about building a PC gaming rig. They were born when I was playing Quake II and Half Life 1 on a 400MHz Pentium II, Riva TNT2 gaming rig with a 1280x1024 17" CRT! They grew up playing consoles and more recently tablets for gaming, but want more. I've already taught one how to build and walked him through everything from buying the components to putting them in correctly and safely and dealing with the biggest headache, software and driver installation and setup. I think if there are enough kids out there like this, PC gaming will continue to grow and be around for a long time.

Send 'em to Tom's Hardware forums for tips and learning. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.