Question PC gets stuck in the bios if it has more than 3 ram modules.

Jul 6, 2024
Issue:
My PC gets stuck in the BIOS during the RAM check when I use 4 modules (64 GB in total). The modules pass individual tests (memtest86) and work in configurations of 2 or 3, but not with 4.

System Specifications:
- CPU
: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
- CPU Cooler: deepcool AK620
- Motherboard:Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 (previously Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX)
- Memory: 2 kits of TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL40
- Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0, || Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0, || Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0
- GPU: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB
- Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower
- PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850 W 80+ Gold Modular

Solutions Attempted:
1. RAM Testing

- All modules pass Memtest86 individually and in 2 or 3 module configurations.
- Changed the order of the modules.
- Issue persists with 4 modules, regardless of order or combination.
2. Updates and Configuration:
- Updated BIOS.
- Cleared CMOS.
- Enabled/disabled XMP profile.
- Adjusted RAM voltage for more stability.
- Reduced RAM frequency (down to 3200 MHz).
- Set PMIC Voltages to By Per PMIC.
3. Component Changes:
- RAM: Changed from Patriot Viper Venom 16GB 5200MHz to TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 64GB 6400MHz, thinking the Patriot RAM was defective. However, the issue occurred with both kits.
- Motherboard: Changed from Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX to Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI ATX.

Additional Observations:
- RAM modules are on the motherboard's compatibility list.
- Issue seems to persist only with 4 RAM modules.
- Do not mix ram of different models/brands (I just tried others separately)

Possible Cause:
I suspect the problem might be with the CPU's memory controller. ( I don't have another one to try )

If anyone has had a similar issue or knows of something else I can try, I would greatly appreciate it!

EDITS:
-A computer technician has recommended brands such as Kingston and ADATA that tend to have more compatibility for four slots.
-I cannot obtain individual RAMS of more GB because they do not exist in my country. (or are extremely overpriced)

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't have anything to do with cpu memory controller possibly being faulty, just a simple case of trying to mix ram. Doesn't matter if each set/ model is on qvl, mixing increases chances of failure. Even mixing exact same spec ram can cause problems, this is why ram are sold together for best compatibility.

So now what? Just use one of the bought pairs. If you need more ram then sell these and get a kit of two larger modules.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Jul 6, 2024
Thank you for your response.

I'm sorry, I think I did not explain well in the post, I have 2 kits of the same model(FF4D532G6400HC40BDC01) of ram just not to mix ram of different models, (now what I have is two teamgroup kits of the same model all the same ).
Wouldn't have anything to do with cpu memory controller possibly being faulty, just a simple case of trying to mix ram. Doesn't matter if each set/ model is on qvl, mixing increases chances of failure. Even mixing exact same spec ram can cause problems, this is why ram are sold together for best compatibility.

So now what? Just use one of the bought pairs. If you need more ram then sell these and get a kit of two larger modules.

boju

Titan
Ambassador