Mar 27, 2019
Hello,

For quite some time now I have been plagued by an odd glitch that I have not been able to troubleshoot. First off it is most certainly not consistent. Mostly happens when im gaming but has happened when im editing with adobe premiere to an extent. Flickering squares, and more commonly rainbow textures in games and crazy texture flashes . see this video
View: https://youtu.be/fwupaKy_E2A

Seen here are the rainbow textures
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OB2rZKYXFgq0dt7kv0rGi6TmKixkWuJf/view?usp=drivesdk

Im running a saphire R9 video card (all drivers up to date and system kept clean. )with 2 gigs of video ram.

I run games off a usb 3.0 external drive (could this cause the glitches?) and these glitches are consistent over most games like Ark, Rust and Apex legends. Although i have premier installed on my ssd wich only has windows on it and plenty of empty space. Any helpful info is greatly appreciated!

My specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz 35 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-E (SOCKET 1150) 27 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 32 °C
Storage
223GB PNY CS1311 240GB SSD (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
1863GB Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 32 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST a
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Load the worst offending game to your boot drive and play. If the glitches go away you probably have the answer with respect to the use of the external USB 3.0 drive. (Does the external USB drive have its own power supply or rely on the host system for power?)

If the glitching continues use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what is happening on your computer.

First watch one tool or the other for a while without gaming. Then slide the window to one side and leave open. Game as usual but continue to observe the performance. Look for some bottleneck that may be created.

Mar 27, 2019

Load the worst offending game to your boot drive and play. If the glitches go away you probably have the answer with respect to the use of the external USB 3.0 drive. (Does the external USB drive have its own power supply or rely on the host system for power?)

If the glitching continues use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what is happening on your computer.

First watch one tool or the other for a while without gaming. Then slide the window to one side and leave open. Game as usual but continue to observe the performance. Look for some bottleneck that may be created.

Yes I will add that info once I get home from work. Its an external USB that relys on the systems power. Although im thinking temps may be the cause as its an older card ive had for a few years that may need its fan speeds adjusted. I'll try after burner tonight

Mar 27, 2019

My specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz 35 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-E (SOCKET 1150) 27 °C
Graphics
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 32 °C
Storage
223GB PNY CS1311 240GB SSD (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
1863GB Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 32 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST a
Audio