[SOLVED] PC has been freezing at least once a day. Mouse still works. Task manager won't launch. How do I fix this?

ariaspaolo3

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
This week, my PC has been freezing at least once a day. It starts with a program like file explorer or Google Chrome being unresponsive. Sometimes it's a simple right-click on the taskbar. There have been two instances of it freezing while HWInfo64 is loading up. Then it just spreads throughout every program until my whole desktop freezes.

I can move the mouse pointer freely, but I can't access the task manager, no matter how many ctrl-alt-deletes I do. I can't click on programs or windows, either. Everything's just frozen. I just end up turning off my system through the power button. And every time I turn it on again, Windows plays the sound of a device being plugged into the system (like it identified a flash drive).

It hasn't happened while playing video games (I hope it doesn't, ever). It only happens when I'm working on MS Word or browsing the internet.

I've searched a lot of online threads to no avail. Here are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Palit GTX 1070 8 GB Super Jetstream
RAM: TeamGroup Elite 8 GB (2x4 GB) 2400 MHz
MB: Asrock F4tality AB350 Gaming K4
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W

I'm suspecting my hard drive since it's been struggling to keep up recently. Crystaldiskinfo shows that has a good health status. It could also be my GPU since I only upgraded it a few days ago. Again, it hasn't crashed during gaming sessions or Heaven/Superposition benchmarks.

Temperatures are chilling, too. I seldom reach 50 degrees Celsius on my CPU while working. And my GPU stays at around 38 to 43 degrees. It never reaches 70 under full gaming load.

Crossing my fingers that this is just a software or driver issue. How do I fix this?

Solution
I have a somewhat similar issue. Mine was within Windows programs only, task manager, start menu, Edge, etc. I had been going round and round trying to figure it out with no luck.
I recently took all manner of OC off, turned off Precision Boost, turned off XMP and the issue has not presented since.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Sorry for your freezing issues. I've recently experienced this myself. I am no expert but maybe i can offer a few suggestions and tell you what fixed mine.

You say you recently installed a new GPU? Then be sure your drivers are updated to the latest.

Are you using windows 10? I found, in settings, a feature called "reset this pc". Sorry but i can't remember all the details but you might research that and try it as a last resort. Good luck.

Reactions: ariaspaolo3

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a somewhat similar issue. Mine was within Windows programs only, task manager, start menu, Edge, etc. I had been going round and round trying to figure it out with no luck.
I recently took all manner of OC off, turned off Precision Boost, turned off XMP and the issue has not presented since.

Solution