Question PC has no display/usb after reinstalling CPU

Jan 15, 2023
So I bought a 5700x to replace my 3700x a few days ago and after I removed the cpu cooler I realized I forgot to buy thermal paste. The CPU was stuck to the cooler but I was able to pop it off easily with a screwdriver.

After reinstalling the 3700x, the computer would “boot” but my monitor wouldn’t display a signal and my Apex Pro keyboard wouldn’t light up. Some USB devices like my microphone would have the little LED light up. I tried installing the 5700x without any paste just to see and still no luck.

What could I have messed up while doing this? I suspect it’s the motherboard but I honestly have no idea.

So I bought a 5700x to replace my 3700x a few days ago and after I removed the cpu cooler I realized I forgot to buy thermal paste. The CPU was stuck to the cooler but I was able to pop it off easily with a screwdriver.

After reinstalling the 3700x, the computer would “boot” but my monitor wouldn’t display a signal and my Apex Pro keyboard wouldn’t light up. Some USB devices like my microphone would have the little LED light up. I tried installing the 5700x without any paste just to see and still no luck.

What could I have messed up while doing this? I suspect it’s the motherboard but I honestly have no idea.
Reset CMOS/BIOS first, It's likely confused to what's in the socket because of different generation of CPU- Once you get it running with 3700x you will most likely have to update BIOS version to newest to be compatible with 5000 series Ryzen. You of course will have to use CPU cooler which fan is connected to CPU_FAN header so mount it good, same as if it was staying there. All with power disconnected or switched off at PSU.

Jan 15, 2023
Reset CMOS/BIOS first, It's likely confused to what's in the socket because of different generation of CPU- Once you get it running with 3700x you will most likely have to update BIOS version to newest to be compatible with 5000 series Ryzen. You of course will have to use CPU cooler which fan is connected to CPU_FAN header so mount it good, same as if it was staying there. All with power disconnected or switched off at PSU.

Thank you for the response, I just tried that and unfortunately no luck. Anything else you suggest?

Jan 11, 2023
I'm guessing you've tried reseating your gpu/ram? Any bent or broken pins on the cpu? Also, did the cpu get ripped out of socket or did you pop off the cooler while it was still mounted?

In general I use the twist and pull method on the cooler. Slow and steady is better than accidentally ripping out of socket