[SOLVED] PC isn't displaying anything

Dec 10, 2018
My pc recently fell off of my desk and it left a huge dent in the case. My PC would'nt turn on after it dropped so I decided to order a new case and transfer all of the components over to it. As far as I can tell none of the components are damaged. The CPU fan came out of its slots on the mobo but I was able to snap it back in very easily. The only other issue is that the locking mechanisms on the ram slots broke off but I am still able to fully seat the ram into the slots. The issue I'm having is that the pc won't display anything. I got all of the components transferred to the new case but when I turn the power on nothing displays, the cpu, gpu, and chassis fans all spin but that's the only sign of activity I'm getting. Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

Solution
wow, thats pretty harsh. unfortunately electronics really dont like physical impacts, especially ones hard enough to break ram clips!

while i'm not optimistic here you can try a few things to rule out various component failures.

when you say your cooler came off, was it just the fan or did it come completely free of the cpu mount exposing the thermal pad/paste? if you could see the top of your CPU you need to clean and repaste it at a minimum.

now for some testing. go for a basic POST first. that means no unnecessary components, just try to reach BIOS.

this requires a bare minimum of motherboard, cpu (+cooler), ram, gfx (cpu onboard gfx will do for now). idsconnect everything else (HDD, GFX card etc)

if you have sticks of ram...
Dec 10, 2018
I have double checked every connection and I have also tried a few different kinds of ram but still no activity. When the PC fell the impact caused the RAM to fly out of their slots, that's how the slots were damaged.

If you had any mechanical HDD in the PC, then that would be damaged/broken.
If you had a large cpu cooler, then most likely it damaged some components also, when falling off.
Motherboard is probably dead. If you had discrete graphics card, it could be damaged too.

Be ready, you may need to replace everything and basically build a new pc.

CPU, RAM, SSD and PSU - those most likely are fine.

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
wow, thats pretty harsh. unfortunately electronics really dont like physical impacts, especially ones hard enough to break ram clips!

while i'm not optimistic here you can try a few things to rule out various component failures.

when you say your cooler came off, was it just the fan or did it come completely free of the cpu mount exposing the thermal pad/paste? if you could see the top of your CPU you need to clean and repaste it at a minimum.

now for some testing. go for a basic POST first. that means no unnecessary components, just try to reach BIOS.

this requires a bare minimum of motherboard, cpu (+cooler), ram, gfx (cpu onboard gfx will do for now). idsconnect everything else (HDD, GFX card etc)

if you have sticks of ram that weren't part of the dropping incident try using those. if not, start with a single stick

plug monitor into the vga/hdmi/dp thats part of your motherboards backplate

turn on...

if you get to bios then there's at least a little hope for your system. if not, swap out ram sticks till you've tried them all.

if you still can't get to bios that leaves you with potentially :

broken motherboard (most likely to break in a fall)
broken RAM
broken CPU
broken PSU (though they are usually sturdier than other components and unlikely to be the cause)

if these dont work then you can't even test the HDD/GFX card without a spare working PC to plug them into.

try that and let us know how you get on

Solution