[SOLVED] PC isn't going into idle and turning off the screen

Apr 14, 2022
I've had Windows 11 installed for a few months now and at first there wasn't any issues with this but for the past few weeks I've noticed it isn't idling and turning off the monitor after 30 minutes as I have it set in my power plan which is the AMD Ryzen high performance plan. I've tried changing the time to turn monitor off, reset the power plan to default setting, and changed to a completely different plan but nothing seems to trigger the PC to idle and turn off he monitor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution
Apr 14, 2022
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Did the clean boot as the instructions said and it didn't fix the issues unfortunately.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

I swapped to just using the normal windows power plans now as they work with Ryzen.
Have you updated the chipset driver on motherboard?

clean boot was just to see if another program was conflicting with the settings.

Apr 14, 2022
what are specs of the PC?

I swapped to just using the normal windows power plans now as they work with Ryzen.
Have you updated the chipset driver on motherboard?

clean boot was just to see if another program was conflicting with the settings.

Yes I recently went back to Windows 10 from 11 did a fresh install and updated the chipset as well as all the other drivers the other day. here's a screenshot from Speccy for my specs
jbTvqrt.jpeg

Colif

Win 11 Master
what do you mean by idle?
have you run an Anti virus scan?

is it always running fast ??
61c is a little warm but since its Ryzen, I can't tell if that was just a peak temp as CPU is always boosting a core to some temp and dropping again.

sHnsvc5.jpg

looking at Speccy myself, it tracks package temps which is a sensor on MB under the CPU. My package temp is constantly moving between 49 and 41, and back again. I ignore it and track core temps, as Ryzen CPU have over 600 sensors on them so it can be far more accurate and yet not be able to give you a temp per core, like Intel can.

Sound is erm, wrong... not sure what is going on there.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
what do you mean by idle?
have you run an Anti virus scan?

is it always running fast ??
61c is a little warm but since its Ryzen, I can't tell if that was just a peak temp as CPU is always boosting a core to some temp and dropping again.

sHnsvc5.jpg

looking at Speccy myself, it tracks package temps which is a sensor on MB under the CPU. My package temp is constantly moving between 49 and 41, and back again. I ignore it and track core temps, as Ryzen CPU have over 600 sensors on them so it can be far more accurate and yet not be able to give you a temp per core, like Intel can.

Sound is erm, wrong... not sure what is going on there.
Yeah Speccy has always read a temp around 60 for some reason, the cooler is working fine so I'm not sure what is causing it, Ryzen Master shows the temp fluctuating between the mid to high 40s though.

What I mean by idle is the time it takes for the power plan to shut off the monitor automatically, for some reason it just isn't doing it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try safe mode and see if it turns off... I suspect it will
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

it could be a driver to blame.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see what might be cause.

have you used
powercfg -requests
in command prompt (admin) to see what device is stopping sleep?

Apr 14, 2022
try safe mode and see if it turns off... I suspect it will
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
it could be a driver to blame.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see what might be cause.

have you used
powercfg -requests
in command prompt (admin) to see what device is stopping sleep?

Alright here is the shot of Driver View
vM8MMeW.png

I ran the powercfg -requests command and this is what came back
qRpzF6w.jpeg

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm Razer drivers are from 2016 but that isn't really old, and they might reuse old drivers in new packages. Could still try to update it.
lots of SAS software, basically half the drivers are, I guess you know that. I never know what to expect :)

curious why you have nvraid on PC, I don't think Nvidia make raid anymore? its linked to nforce, which was their motherboard chips from about 15 years ago. I had an nforce mb.
you seem to have every raid software known to man. Maybe an exaggeration.
Strange for a PC with only 3 drives.

Apr 14, 2022
hmm Razer drivers are from 2016 but that isn't really old, and they might reuse old drivers in new packages. Could still try to update it.
lots of SAS software, basically half the drivers are, I guess you know that. I never know what to expect :)

curious why you have nvraid on PC, I don't think Nvidia make raid anymore? its linked to nforce, which was their motherboard chips from about 15 years ago. I had an nforce mb.
you seem to have every raid software known to man. Maybe an exaggeration.
Strange for a PC with only 3 drives.

Yeah the Razer drivers are terrible to be honest lol I'm planning on getting away from their products, As far as the raid softward I'm assuming it must be in the drivers for my graphics card or something 🤔unless they were packaged in with the chipset drivers? this is all a little out of my pool of knowledge lol.

look in control panel, in the power plan advanced settings. take a look at the multimedia setting. I recall that streaming video or audio can block sleep states.
even if the connection is from another machine on the network.

I would think it would show up in the
powercfg.exe /energy
report for your streaming audio device.

Apr 14, 2022
look in control panel, in the power plan advanced settings. take a look at the multimedia setting. I recall that streaming video or audio can block sleep states.
even if the connection is from another machine on the network.

I would think it would show up in the
powercfg.exe /energy
report for your streaming audio device.
I figured out the problem this morning lol, it occurred to me the most recent USB device I had plugged in was a joystick for gaming so I unplugged it and my screen is turning off after the set time again. My best guess is the throttle slider was barely pushed up which is bound to the W key lol I appreciate the help though :)

Reactions: Colif
I figured out the problem this morning lol, it occurred to me the most recent USB device I had plugged in was a joystick for gaming so I unplugged it and my screen is turning off after the set time again. My best guess is the throttle slider was barely pushed up which is bound to the W key lol I appreciate the help though :)
funny, I had that happen when my z axis on my joystick was bound to a control key. the z axis broke and I while I was typing stuff the control key would be activated. z axis was having random fluctuations. thrustmaster 1600 m.
I got another and it broke the same way after a few months.