[SOLVED] PC keeps BSOD after cpu/motherboard/ram swap

Dec 17, 2021
I just swapped my motherboard, ram, and cpu on my computer and am getting constant BSOD. I have updated drivers via driver easy pro, but I could not used the usb driver installer Msi provided with the MB because it does not work properly. Even if I run it as admin it will not load up. (I’m selecting dvdsetup like they stated to.)

It randomly bsod. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing. I can’t even used the pc for more than 5 minutes without it doing it.

Msi z690 edge Wi-Fi Ddr4
Intel i9-12900k
Evga 2080ti
G.skill trident z neo 32gb
1000w 80+gold evga psu

BSOD messages- APC INDEX MISMATCH, MEMORY MANAGEMENT, UNEXPENDED KERNAL MODE TRAP, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA.

Solution
You are using memory intended for use with AMD platforms. The Trident Z "Neo" memory kits are specifically designed with timings and configurations that are suited for the Ryzen lineup, not Intel. Now, that doesn't mean that it "can't" work with other systems, because in truth most desktop DDR4 can be made to work with most systems, but it might take a great deal of manual configuration to the primary, secondary and possibly even tertiary timings to do so. And in some cases, might still never work depending on whether the motherboard is willing to hold hands or not.

Better would be to return that memory and get practically any non-Neo Trident Z kit, some other decent G.Skill or Corsair memory kit that is compatible based on either the...
You are using memory intended for use with AMD platforms. The Trident Z "Neo" memory kits are specifically designed with timings and configurations that are suited for the Ryzen lineup, not Intel. Now, that doesn't mean that it "can't" work with other systems, because in truth most desktop DDR4 can be made to work with most systems, but it might take a great deal of manual configuration to the primary, secondary and possibly even tertiary timings to do so. And in some cases, might still never work depending on whether the motherboard is willing to hold hands or not.

Better would be to return that memory and get practically any non-Neo Trident Z kit, some other decent G.Skill or Corsair memory kit that is compatible based on either the Corsair or G.Skill compatibility lists or the motherboard QVL compatibility list.

That's just the first thing that jumped off the page to my attention. Obviously, it could be something else, but that fact still holds true. Neo kits were not meant for Intel systems.

Second thing is, if there is a newer motherboard BIOS version than what you have installed, it would be a good idea to upgrade to the newer version if it is a stable, non-beta version.

Third thing would be to be sure to download and install all relevant drivers from the Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4 product support page on the MSI website. Relevant drivers being audio, network (LAN/WiFi) and chipset.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z690-EDGE-WIFI-DDR4/support#down-driver

Also, if you did not do a clean install of Windows specifically for this new build and are using an old Windows installation from a previous system, then like Phaaze88 has suggested it would be highly recommended to ditch that after backing up any important files and do a clean install.

Solution
Dec 17, 2021
Thank you greatly for the reply! I have issued a return for the ram and ordered the correct ram. I will make sure everything is up to date tomorrow per msi website you linked. And I will also try reinstalling windows. I will post back here what the results are!