[SOLVED] PC keeps freezing randomly

Nov 8, 2020
Hi,

I recently upgraded my CPU, RAM and Motherboard, and since then, my PC has been randomly freezing, which then leads to crashing.
It is very random as sometimes it crashes multiple times in one day, to not crashing at all for a few days.
The crashes don't seem to be linked to system load and can happen whatever I'm doing, it even crashed while I was writing this!

My Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3600mhz
  • Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 3gb
  • Thermaltake 500w PSU (Also tried on another 500w PSU, and still crashes)
  • 240GB Mengmi SSD
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda
The CPU, RAM and Motherboard I used to have:

Intel Core i5 4460
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Gigabyte Micro ATX Motherboard

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Solution
I've tried all of those suggestions, but it still crashes. I'm starting to think its a hardware issue with either the CPU, RAM or Motherboard
Is it possible for you to lend/get/steal/ a gpu to test your system with?

GPU is a major factor in freezes, it would be good to at least eleiminate the GPU out of our search
Hi,

I recently upgraded my CPU, RAM and Motherboard, and since then, my PC has been randomly freezing, which then leads to crashing.
It is very random as sometimes it crashes multiple times in one day, to not crashing at all for a few days.
The crashes don't seem to be linked to system load and can happen whatever I'm doing, it even crashed while I was writing this!

My Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3600mhz
  • Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 3gb
  • Thermaltake 500w PSU (Also tried on another 500w PSU, and still crashes)
  • 240GB Mengmi SSD
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda
The CPU, RAM and Motherboard I used to have:

Intel Core i5 4460
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Gigabyte Micro ATX Motherboard

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Did you do a clean install of windows after upgrading?

Nov 9, 2020
I reinstalled windows today, and I just got another crash so it hasn't fixed it
Did you make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from AMD? Also drivers for the graphics card as well? I would recommend going into "Event viewer" after the computer crashes and see what the error log shows. Also don't forget to check your BIOS version. I had an instance of terrible performance where my whole system would freeze up and it turns out I never updated my BIOS properly.

Try resetting your BIOS to default settings as well if you have changed anything in there as well. I would check your MOBO manual as well to ensure your RAM are in the recommended slots, some boards are different.

Nov 8, 2020
Did you make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from AMD? Also drivers for the graphics card as well? I would recommend going into "Event viewer" after the computer crashes and see what the error log shows. Also don't forget to check your BIOS version. I had an instance of terrible performance where my whole system would freeze up and it turns out I never updated my BIOS properly.

Try resetting your BIOS to default settings as well if you have changed anything in there as well. I would check your MOBO manual as well to ensure your RAM are in the recommended slots, some boards are different.
I've tried all of those suggestions, but it still crashes. I'm starting to think its a hardware issue with either the CPU, RAM or Motherboard

Nov 8, 2020
Is it possible for you to lend/get/steal/ a gpu to test your system with?

GPU is a major factor in freezes, it would be good to at least eleiminate the GPU out of our search
I may be able to nick one from my friend lol. My GPU isn't that old so would be annoying if that's the issue. I just contacted Amazon to try and replace my CPU, as that was the newest part I upgraded, but for some reason they've replace my RAM, so I have new RAM coming tomorrow which I can try to replace

I may be able to nick one from my friend lol. My GPU isn't that old so would be annoying if that's the issue. I just contacted Amazon to try and replace my CPU, as that was the newest part I upgraded, but for some reason they've replace my RAM, so I have new RAM coming tomorrow which I can try to replace
My money is on your GPU being borked

Please do let us know what th issue was if any of the actions you are doing solved it, for future ppl stumbling upon the thread :)

good luck my dude